General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vos001
(newbie) Wed 12-Jun-13 23:59:09
Print Post

Lack of Regulation of email provision.

[link to this post]

I was shocked recently to find that email provision is not regulated by Ofcom. This allows ISPs to take no responsibility for any problems that arise when customers use their email systems. The lack of regulation also means that none of the independent arbritation services are prepared to handle users grievances when deadlock is reached with their ISP. The Government should recognise that email is now an essential means of communication and give it at least the same status as mail and the telephone system.

Edited by Vos001 (Thu 13-Jun-13 00:03:03)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 13-Jun-13 07:37:32
Print Post

Re: Lack of Regulation of email provision.

[re: Vos001] [link to this post]

what sort of things would you expect to be regulated?

all the major isp's treat email as a free addon so is not even a paid for service.

I have never heard of a deadlock with an isp over email.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 13-Jun-13 07:54:36
Print Post

The Government should recognise that email is now an essential means of communication and give it at least the same status as mail and the telephone system.
Interesting point. OFCOM is primarily an economic regulator and I suspect would say that there is a vibrant competitive market in the supply of email services.

Have you written to them and asked why they don't regulate email ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vos001
(newbie) Sat 15-Jun-13 18:03:22
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
what sort of things would you expect to be regulated?

all the major isp's treat email as a free addon so is not even a paid for service.

I have never heard of a deadlock with an isp over email.

One of the problems is the fact that ISPs claim it is not a paid for service and therefore there is no "contract" between them and the user.This allows them amongst other things to impose any conditions they like on email use. For example they can insist that they can read any user emails, close the email account whenever they want , refuse to correct any problems etc.

I have reached a deadlock situation with a major ISP where they removed a facility with no notification. This caused emails to be deleted without warning. Their system still indicated that the facility was still there and gave no failure message when used. They confirmed that this was the case but as email was a free add on they had no obligation to fix the issue.

What needs to be regulated amongst other things is that a) any email system provided as part of internet service provision is a contractual commitment and cannot be treated as an alleged free add on. b) there should be a commited level of service including things like privacy, reliability and security and c) any email account should not be arbritarily cancelled and any associated address should be allowed to be transfered to anothe provider.
I would suspect that mobile phone services have regulations that could be applied to email provision.
Standard User Vos001
(newbie) Sat 15-Jun-13 18:19:27
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
The Government should recognise that email is now an essential means of communication and give it at least the same status as mail and the telephone system.
Interesting point. OFCOM is primarily an economic regulator and I suspect would say that there is a vibrant competitive market in the supply of email services.

There is not a vibrant competitive market in the supply of email services. Most email services are bundled with broadband provision and used by ISPs to retain customers who do not wish to lose their emaill addresses if they move. Most non ISP email systems are provided by american suppliers that appear to be used as advertising vehicles or for spying by the NSA. Again these are totally unregulated.

The problem has been recognised by this government e-petition
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48917
that I have signed but it is difficult to know who to write/ email to in Government.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 15-Jun-13 19:36:12
Print Post

If e-mail is important to you then I would suggest registering a domain and using a paid for service because as has been said it is considered a free service which they provide out of goodwill, their only obligation to you being provision of the connection you are paying for.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Sat 15-Jun-13 20:49:33
Print Post

Regulation is not the answer as there is a lot of paid for mail services.

In your case they ISP may be remiss under the Goods And Services Act 1979.

The law even states that if something is given away for free that the act stands and that there is a contract between the supplier and the customer for that service.

To be honest you would need to seek professional legal help about this route or see what the local trading standards says but I would say the ISP is trying it on but without a customer knowing their rights they can ride all over you.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 16-Jun-13 16:57:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vos001:
There is not a vibrant competitive market in the supply of email services

I disagree. There are multiple free email services as you have noticed and I can think of at least six standalone paid for UK based email hosting services without even looking. None of these are tied to an ISP.

How many do you want in the marketplace ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 16-Jun-13 17:18:56
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

The key here is user education.

Novices do not know about domain registration and hosted mail services and think you have to use your ISP's mail system when in fact you can purchase these services from providers in practically any corner of the world you wish though it is probably better to have the mail hosting done in the UK for support purposes.

For example my .com domain registration is done through a provider in the States and my mail is hosted by a provider on the Isle of Man.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 16-Jun-13 17:20:23)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 17-Jun-13 02:23:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vos001:
In reply to a post by yarwell:

There is not a vibrant competitive market in the supply of email services. Most email services are bundled with broadband provision and used by ISPs to retain customers who do not wish to lose their emaill addresses if they move. Most non ISP email systems are provided by american suppliers that appear to be used as advertising vehicles or for spying by the NSA. Again these are totally unregulated.

The problem has been recognised by this government e-petition
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48917
that I have signed but it is difficult to know who to write/ email to in Government.

actually there is.

webhosting services (which tend to be also email hosting services) is a very competitive market to the point it was saturated years ago. Which means email hosting is actually very cheap.

All you need to do is register a domain, then find somewhere to host the email. The domain is yours to keep forever as long as you always remember to renew it, and the hosting can be moved around as you please.

A second choice if you dont want to spend any cash is something like gmail, I generally reccomend to avoid broadband provided email services especially for anything important.

Some people even host their own email at home, I would only consider that tho if you have a static ip.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to