General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(committed) Fri 08-Nov-13 19:41:31
Print Post

please explain (adsl24) llu with different backhaul

[link to this post]

Hi all,
please can you explain something for me.. TT unbundled my exchange and put in their equipment. Not wanting to deal directgly with TT, I went with Adsl24 for a combined BB and phone package over the TT (Opal) network.
(as a side issue the speed is actually worse then it was under Bt, but still).

When I do a tracert to say the bbc, I would expect to see TT/Opal listed on the hops, however, all I see is Murphx.
How does this work? Am I benefitting from the TT LLU?

many thanks
Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do!)

Surfing with FireflyInternet
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Nov-13 11:56:21
Print Post

Re: please explain (adsl24) llu with different backhaul

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Looks like Daisy (Murphx) are the Wholesaler selling TT/Opal to Adsl24 who retail it to you.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User ukwoody
(committed) Sat 09-Nov-13 19:23:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Forgive me, not sure I totally understand.

Old setup = home to exchange on bt, bt to murphx, to bbc
New setup = home to exchange on bt, bt to TT in exchange (?) then murphx to bbc.

Am I reading this right? what if any is the benefit of being on the TT unbundled kit? I am still 99% on the murpx setup as opposed to TT aren't I?

many thanks
Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 09-Nov-13 19:23:12
Print Post

they're probably using L2TP to carry your traffic across the TT network encapsulated, so the first thing you hit is a Murphx / Daisy router. Some enta based resellers did/do that too.

Same as on many BT 20CN services the first IP address is the gateway of the ISP as up to that point it's carried in ATM.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ukwoody
(committed) Sat 09-Nov-13 19:24:45
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Yarwell, I think we posted at the same time, lol.

I'm sorry, I'm not over teccy about this, can you put it in simple terms for me please?

Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 11-Nov-13 10:03:04
Print Post

I'm not sure you can put multilayer mutliprotocol networking into "simple terms".

Maybe think of your connection as like a secure SSL web browsing session, it's encoded all the way to the bank.

Similarly your traffic is encoded all the way to the ISP, so the first thing you can see and ping is at the ISP as the toff en-route is outside the encoding.

Or think of TT providing a tunnel to your ISP, you can't see what's outside the tunnel only what's at the other end.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Wed 11-Dec-13 20:27:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukwoody:
Am I reading this right? what if any is the benefit of being on the TT unbundled kit? I am still 99% on the murpx setup as opposed to TT aren't I?

CPE -> Exchange LLU DSLAM -> TalkTalk IP Network (Not shown in your traceroute) -> ISP Edge Router -> Internet.

So while you connect to a TalkTalk DSLAM/MSAN and use there connection back from that exchange kit its in effect trunked up and routed directly through the TalkTalk core and passed to your ISP where its handed off and becomes visible again.

It's just like the old Data/IPStream service - you never saw any 'hop' or connection between the exchange, BRAS, and ISP central.

Edited by IamQ (Wed 11-Dec-13 20:27:58)

Standard User Xandra
(newbie) Tue 14-Oct-14 11:54:35
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

My reading of the article suggests that the margin squeeze is at the BTWholesale level and nothing to do with Openreach who are mandated to supply to all ISPs at the same terms.
The Openreach rollout is an enabler for the Infinity product (and all the other ISPs superfast products) so it doesn't seem to make sense to buy content rights if that means you would be reducing the investment in the infrastructure needed to deliver the content.

Xandra
Standard User namal
(newbie) Tue 21-Oct-14 07:29:24
Print Post

[re: Xandra] [link to this post]

I found this article very informative

namal
Standard User binary
(member) Fri 18-Sep-15 12:13:25
Print Post

[re: Xandra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Xandra:
My reading of the article suggests that the margin squeeze is at the BTWholesale level and nothing to do with Openreach who are mandated to supply to all ISPs at the same terms.
The Openreach rollout is an enabler for the Infinity product (and all the other ISPs superfast products) so it doesn't seem to make sense to buy content rights if that means you would be reducing the investment in the infrastructure needed to deliver the content.

What article??
  Print Thread

Jump to