General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lenham343
(newbie) Sat 09-Nov-13 19:53:46
Print Post

Profit margin on Caller Display?

[link to this post]

Anyone know what the economics are for Caller Display/CLI? It's one of the services charged for by my ISP. But as far as I can see there's only a sunk software development cost in the network, and a degree of software maintenance/testing that need to be covered. Do OR charge the ISPs for this facility?

£1 per month for Caller Display vs £14.50 for local line, cabinet, switches, central network, ... seems rather disproportionate!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 21:29:04
Print Post

Re: Profit margin on Caller Display?

[re: lenham343] [link to this post]

I don't know the answer, but I might correct you, in that it's not Openreach who levy the charge, they do not provide the Caller Display service.

Standard User zom22
(regular) Mon 11-Nov-13 07:36:25
Print Post

I believe all the exchanges are gradually being updated to also display international CLI's - rather than merely 'international'
So this is a new facility which is going to have to be paid for by someone - the customers who want it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Nov-13 08:18:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I don't know the answer, but I might correct you, in that it's not Openreach who levy the charge, they do not provide the Caller Display service.
Openreach do provide Caller Display on WLR3, as can be seen on their price list for Wholesale Calling Features (analogue). The wholesale cost is £1.50 per quarter (excluding VAT).

Standard User trolleybus
(member) Mon 11-Nov-13 09:40:58
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Openreach do provide Caller Display on WLR3, as can be seen on their price list for Wholesale Calling Features (analogue). The wholesale cost is £1.50 per quarter (excluding VAT).

I predict vast numbers describing from this service that the law of demising returns will apply. Good on the mobile companies and hosted VoIP services containing to provide this service at no extra cost.

The sad thing is that caller display has a value in screening out spam calls bit even there the call presentation number is sometimes/often false noticeable with numbers like 0123456789 and 0000.
Standard User DrPepper
(regular) Mon 11-Nov-13 11:20:03
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

All I can say is that we get it as standard on our mobile phones and they already display international numbers!

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Mon 11-Nov-13 16:42:30
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
I predict vast numbers describing from this service that the law of demising returns will apply. Good on the mobile companies and hosted VoIP services containing to provide this service at no extra cost.
It is BT trying to profit from the annoyance of unwanted calls. Leaving BT completely is a much better option.

Michael Chare
Standard User lenham343
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-13 20:47:09
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link. So broadly - markup on Openreach charges is 100% (£3/quarter vs £1.50 per quarter).

Looks like for basic line rental, annual charge is £93.27, vs my PN charge of £137.88 annual charge - ie a markup of 48%.

Given the basic charges need to absorb all of the costs of customer management & billing - can't see that the Caller Display charges are justified.

Follow-up thought about OR charges - £6 p.a. for Call Display - essentially a bit of software - vs £93 p.a . for copper, networks & switches - doesn't seen commensurate. How many people does OR have working on Caller Display?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 22-Nov-13 11:39:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by lenham343:
How many people does OR have working on Caller Display?

Probably quite a few at the moment as they are upgrading it to carry international CLI numbers

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Nov-13 20:16:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I returned to BT during the post office confusion, paid a year up front for line rental just a few weeks before the new charge structure was announced, and when the new charges kick in for caller display I will be unplugging the phone.

I have no desire to extend my hitch to BT by re-contracting to keep caller display, and I wont be paying for it - nor creating revenue for BT in traffic to my line (which only really exists to support broadband) - Caller display is something that is necessary due to the inability of the various regulators to take some real action against telephone spammers that call my TPS registered numbers. BT told me they cannot drop calls with spoofed CLI as it would breach international agreements, despite the fact that this action is taken to circumvent UK and EU laws. I am certain that BT could allow for that by amending thier T&C to prohibit the spoofing of CLI on thier network. Nor will they allow call barring from international numbers. All of this means that taking steps tpo stop phone spammers are pretty ineffectual while BT rake in revenue from the traffic this (often illegal) traffic generates.

So it is clear that BT don't really care over much about protecting thier customers from spammers, unless it yields a huge profit for them, so that helps me to decide on my departure from BT again once my current paid-up term expires, and it shows that BT - in their greed have shot themselves in the foot.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to