General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Mar-15 23:53:04
Print Post

compensation for delayed repair by Openreach...

[link to this post]

I know that in the past, there was compensation payable when a POTS line was faulty and repairs took a while (started at 1 month's line rental after about 6 days, and went up by another month's rental for every 3 days after that, but only from memory so inexact).

I'm in a situation where a line has gone faulty (no dialtone, and now no broadband), for the second time in a month. Line went dead last Friday (20/03) and message from Post Office (providing line and BB, I believe from TalkTalk with full LLU) on mobile voicemail was that underground cable work is required with estimated completion on 06/04

Can someone indicate where one can find the rates of compensation which Openreach may pay out to TalkTalk (and which I might be able to ask the Post Office to pass on to me, assuming their agreement with TT has provision for handing over all or some of it) ?

NB I have asked in the Post Office forum whether anyone has had compensation paid out, but given there were changes for LLU etc charges (and perhaps compensation, too), notified by Openreach in December, coming into effect this month, I'd like to be able to know what might be paid out... I saw some briefing notice but it said one needed login details on the Openreach site, and I have no plans to attempt to intrude smile

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Mar-15 08:54:05
Print Post

Re: compensation for delayed repair by Openreach...

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Openreach will pay compensation to the CP only, what and how much your CP will and may pay to you is between you and them, they are the folk to ask.

Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Fri 27-Mar-15 08:59:43
Print Post

Compensation is a matter between you are the service provider you have a contract with, so those are the people to ask. The contractual requirement between the Post Office and Openreach isn't directly relevant at the retail level.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Mar-15 09:18:20
Print Post

Thanks for the input, guys, but it's what TT gets that I'm enquiring about here, so I have some knowledge over what they get. Then if Post Office doesn't offer me something similar, it's a question for them as to why they don't pass it on (if TT passes it to them) or why TT doesn't pass it on, if Post Office doesn't see it.

Issue is that the briefing note from December on Openreach site was not open to public, but there may be someone here who does have access and can tell me what rate applies.

Whole issue of Post Office and its customers is separate question, hence why I also asked in the PO section, to see if anyone has been paid compensation. It's handy to have some ammo when the firm I pay next contacts me, or I contact them, about this delay before return of service.

It wasn't as bad when the voice service was down and broadband was working, (ie until yesterday, from Friday) but now it seems completely dead, following the Openreach visit yesterday. (In case anyone puzzled, I sometimes prefer to use a dynamic IP for my internet access.)

---

Standard User azrael316
(newbie) Fri 27-Mar-15 09:51:51
Print Post

Best port of call is the terms and conditions you signed into when you too the PO contract out.

You wont get anything outside what is in there.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Mar-15 10:13:05
Print Post

[re: azrael316] [link to this post]

The documentation online at the time was incorrect in a few respects, and I've not checked back about what it says, but will, before 07/04 (odds are no-one will be fixing it on Easter Monday).

Things I knew were wrong, in December, included:

1) showing a policy which suggested 100 GB a month was your usage limit, when that FUP applied to 2013, and had been scrapped in favour of a 'totally unlimited' data allowance (within the restriction of not overly impacting the network, of course), and

2) showing pricing information (in December) which applied from 05/01/2015. I subsequently had them correct the annual payment for line rental to return it to the amount applicable in December (the delay in getting the line installed was outside my, and their, control).

I'm simply asking what Openreach has on its price list as compensation. The fact it goes to TalkTalk and I am a customer of Post Office Telecomms is almost irrelevant. I thought my original question made clear it was the LLU pricing information I was after. Perhaps I need to stress that, now that a third person has indicated the amount I may (or may not) receive is between me and the Post Office.

---

Edited by ultra (Fri 27-Mar-15 10:16:06)

Standard User azrael316
(newbie) Fri 27-Mar-15 10:37:21
Print Post

I dont see how the amount that OR will compensate TT with has any bearing on what you will receive from the PO.

As you are contracted to Post Office, thats who will dictate how much compensation, if any, you will get. Even if you have the information about how much OpenReach pass to TalkTalk it won't budge Post Office one inch in their compensation offers.

I can try and see if the information you are after is available (I work for an ISP), and pass it on, but its going to be useless to you in your quest for compo...
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Fri 27-Mar-15 11:00:56
Print Post

The Post Office would receive compensation equivalent to 1 months WLR (£7.58) for each day the fault is not fixed (which starts the next working day + 1 from when the fault was reported).

However, compensation is not always payable by Openreach. It depends on the exact reason for the fault in the first place.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Mar-15 11:13:40
Print Post

[re: azrael316] [link to this post]

I can try and see if the information you are after is available (I work for an ISP), and pass it on
I would appreciate that. It has little or no bearing on any compensation I may be able to get from the Post Office, but let's just say I'd like to know.

Just class me as an "interested party" or nosy so-and-so - I've followed telecom topics in the UK for the past 30 years. There was a private briefing for CPs before the changes took effect. The information may now be in the public domain (I would not want you to break any NDA your employer may have in place with Openreach).

Full disclosure - they've given me 6 months free broadband, so no fee charged for it, and the price of BB has come down, too, while the impact of the rise in line rental will not hit me until 2016, when I can decide whether I will pay for a further 12 months, and be stuck with PO/TT for 12, or go monthly and have some flexibility for moving from PO to someone else, perhaps, after 6 months, plusthey installed the line for free, which saved me load of cash, so this is primarily a nuisance in not having use of the line for voice (free Caller Display, and off peak calls) compared with my other line (cheap line rent at 5.99, no included calls, no free network services, and bb with a fixed IP address)

---

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Mar-15 11:15:51
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. It may be TalkTalk not Post Office as customer of Openreach.

---

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to