General Discussion
  >> Local Loop Unbundling & Regulation Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 21:41:53
Print Post

VirGin media fibre to the home

[link to this post]

Ok VM are rolling out their own FTTP in my area but quite a kick back in terms of digging up roads etc. Are they obliged to use existing ducting owned by another provider aka BT ? Or is there a cost involved which makes it cost prohibitive thus cheaper to dig their own trenches?? What are the regulations regarding this and is their a link to it ?

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:04:32
Print Post

Re: VirGin media fibre to the home

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

No obligation to use existing ducting at all

Duct sharing with Openreach is possible, but not been done at anywhere near the scale that Virgin Media want, its meant to be cheaper than your own dig, but Virgin Media may have picked pace of roll-out as the priority rather than being slightly cheaper and also the freedom to do what they want e.g. can lay more stuff into their own ducts at their own leisure at a later date, e.g. point to point dark fibre to masses of 5G masts of leased lines etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:23:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you it settles a wee discussion at a local level for me ta !

Regards

MrG

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:32:56
Print Post

Do you happen to live in Kent?

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:39:07
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

Nope lol north of the border tongue

Regards

MrG

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:48:26
Print Post

Yeah, had just seen your details mentioning north of the boarder and your other post about Scotland smile.

In regards to your original question, I can add that the same works are happening in Ashford, Kent and planned to happen on a far larger scale in another area (will have to check if I can mention this and post later).

The works are being carried out by installing new micro ducting with individual fibre strands to each property. I might be able to post more info on the other location later.

I don't want to assume anything but I hope your name isn't a reflection of your feeling to the Virgin Media works.

Unfortunately a local minority (one person and a rather ill-informed Borough Cllr) are causing a nuisance in Ashford:
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/weve-been-b...

vFast Ltd
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 23:00:25
Print Post

Lol the name is quite apt or was kids and wife reckon I'm a grumpy git tongue been off and on here for years ! However back to the story, yep it's the same type of roll out here and some are up in arms about the roadworks however there just is no easy way and I think in general works are being handled well . Unfortunately there are about 3 or 4 companies involved in laying the fibre and it would seem it's variable in terms of quality and disruption . Not in my street yet but should be I reckon in the next 3 months. So will be able to feedback then my own experience .

Regards

MrG

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 23:53:38
Print Post

Regarding the works in Ashford, there have been some genuine minor issues during the ongoing works (note ongoing, as in works in progress etc.) but these have been dealt with between Virgin Media (ultimately responsible for any/all contractors working for them) and the Street Works team at Kent.

The minority have been complaining about various issues to try and stop the works (even before a trench was opened) and have continued this without merit. The news link in my previous post goes to show some of the local thoughts on their neighbour.

If you are concerned about anything then The New Roads and Street Works act 1991 (http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2003/10/18345/27979) will cover a lot of what will apply to Virgin Media and the highway authority before, during and after the works.

vFast Ltd
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-17 10:50:09
Print Post

Something of an over reaction if the photos are representative of the work taking place which looks normal, but it is representative of the public reaction to any change in their local street scene.

If they'd dug down 6 feet exposed all the utilities and left piles of spoil on road then maybe a different story.

If ever cabling needs a helping hand, point out that once all done it means less people will need satellite dishs, and is one reason why some developers go with FTTP and put in clauses into contracts on no satellite TV or caravans.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-17 15:06:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is very much an overreaction. The photos in the report are representative to a degree (have seen many other photos where conditions were better and a few where action was required and taken by the contractors).

The public reaction here is emanating from a very, very, very small minority. The fact that it's telecom/cable works is kind of irrelevant as if it were other utilities (gas, water, electric) the response from the public minority is expected to be the same.

On the development front, you've got other issues such as getting the utilities to the site and the subsequent public response to those who don't want the development. Even when works are under way, there is little you can do to sway the minds of people against the development to think they can stop, or even reverse the decision of the Planning Authority, and explaining that the permitting of the utility works is entirely separate by the Highway Authority.

vFast Ltd

Edited by Yaz (Sat 11-Feb-17 15:07:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to