Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Sun 20-Mar-11 17:46:35
Print Post

Kaspersky 2011

[link to this post]

I've been running Kaspersky Internet Security for two years quite contentedly and have no desire to change.

The company now tells me that I need to renew my licence. Fair enough.

I had proposed to buy new, as Amazon offers it cheaper than the update - except that several posters on Amazon report that KIS 2011 has 'issues'.

My query is, please - if I use the 2011 key just to continue using my existing app, i.e.I don't actually install 2011, what will be the practical and/or perceived difference against the new version?
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Sun 20-Mar-11 18:54:12
Print Post

Re: Kaspersky 2011

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Which version are you using, if it is KIS2009 it is no longer supported by Kaspersky although they are still issuing updates to the AV until December this year.

TBH I had problems on my desktop running XP when I installed KIS2010, it slowed the computer down and web pages took ages to download so I went back to KIS2009 which I have no problems with, because of that I have not tried KIS2011 on the desktop.

However the laptop running Vista with KIS2010 and now updated to KIS2011 has not had issues or problems.

PlusNet ADSL2+
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Mar-11 19:33:59
Print Post

I've had no problems with Kaspershy 2011. Running fine on 2 64bit machines & a laptop.

If you buy the CD, just use the key & download the latest KIS .exe file online.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Mar-11 19:58:45
Print Post

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

No issues here either with 2011 on x64 Win7.

The best course of action would probably be to run the trial of 2011 for a month on your own system[s] to see for yourself what's what.

Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 09:50:24
Print Post

[re: cajef] [link to this post]

Thanks guys.

My current version is 2010, because I loaded it in its entirety a year ago. I run it under vista (I know, I know, silly me!). Yes, it does take a long time on fire up but I can live with that.
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 10:46:18
Print Post

Like yourself I buy from Argos or PCW, much cheaper than KIS 'easy renewal'. I've had no problems with one computer on W7 and two on XP (I got a 3-user for less than KIS 1 online).

If you do hit snags the KIS forum is excellent and worth a read for background alone.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 22:21:29
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
Like yourself I buy from Argos or PCW, much cheaper than KIS 'easy renewal'. I've had no problems with one computer on W7 and two on XP (I got a 3-user for less than KIS 1 online).

If you do hit snags the KIS forum is excellent and worth a read for background alone.

Cheaper still!
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/security/f/3989800-...
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 22:36:58
Print Post

The only problem that I have with the 2011 releases is the inability to easily customise the installation. Although it's easy enough to do using switches with the installer, Kaspersky's flat refusal to reinstate the custom option along with the advent of "Pure" leaves me thinking that before long, it will be just another McAfee or Norton or whatever.
Except for dropping a couple of stupid wotsits along the way, it's been a brilliant product since it's inception. I'll really miss it if it does descend to the depths of becoming a "jack of all trades" resource gobbler.
Standard User kazeus
(newbie) Tue 05-Apr-11 23:22:20
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

for me the kis2011 became problematic after an upgrade to a newer version (11.0.0.556) of the main servers. My win7 x64 would freeze on automatic update of databases when using firexfox4. hard reboot each and every time. solution for me was to re-install older version of kis2011 from a cd that i bought originally (11.0.0.232) weird huh
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Apr-11 00:30:05
Print Post

[re: kazeus] [link to this post]

Like many other long time KAV/KIS users, other than beta'ing, I've kept away from 2011 altogether if only as a form of admittedly futile protest.
I have to say though that even during the development/pre release stages, I didn't find much to moan about as far as functionality and performance etc was concerned.

Maybe I'm just an old "stick in the mud". smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to