Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Mon 09-May-11 17:33:44
Print Post

WPA2-AES

[link to this post]

My new Netgear router has an option for setting up security for WPA-PSK and WPA2-AES combined. According to the info. wireless clients can connect at either, but I can't seem to be able to set it up. How do I configure the cards - anyone know? I presumed that the n card in my new laptop would take on WPA2 and the g cards would use the same security key to connect with just WPA. Is that how it's supposed to work?
It's the Netgear DGN 2200. At the moment everything connects if I just go for WPA-PSK but I get the router's name with a cross beside it if I try the dual option.

Advent laptop/Dell Inspiron 6000/Dell mini all using XP and 2GB RAM
Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
Belkin N cable router (VM 20Mbs)
Voyager 2100 via BT line (8Mbs) as backup
BT Option 3 / Virgin cable 20Mbs
IE8 and OE6 (Live Mail with Win7)
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-May-11 20:06:48
Print Post

Re: WPA2-AES

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Why don't you just set it to WPA2 only.

It is highly likely both cards will work with WPA2-PSK (NOT WPA2 enterprise/802.1x)

It could be that if you are reusing the SSID, windows is attempting to connect to the wireless using the credentials and information from before. Right click the network icon > Open network and sharing centre > Manage wireless networks. Delete the entries. (assuming vista/7)

Also try TKIP instead of AES.

Then try and reconnect.

Edited by Pipexer (Mon 09-May-11 20:07:26)

Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Sat 14-May-11 06:57:12
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I tried WPA2 for all and one of my Belkin adapters won't connect (although another identical one does!). I think the problem is the age of the computer (6 years). Anyway I'm back on WPA-PSK and we're all online.

Advent laptop/Dell Inspiron 6000/Dell mini all using XP and 2GB RAM
Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
Belkin N cable router (VM 20Mbs)
Voyager 2100 via BT line (8Mbs) as backup
BT Option 3 / Virgin cable 20Mbs
IE8 and OE6 (Live Mail with Win7)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Sat 14-May-11 07:25:38
Print Post

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

I don't think WPA-2 support is integrated into windows XP

I think you have to download the update here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?F...

Only new wireless cards support it though, so on a 6 year old laptop I highly doubt it supports WPA-2 unless you've upgraded the wifi card since the purchase date

EDIT: dual mode SHOULD work fine, very strange indeed. As you say the older clients should just default to WPA and the newer to WPA2. To be honest there's no point in using WPA 2 if your not using it on every device. Also it's an overkill security wise. IMO.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 14-May-11 07:33:05)

Standard User dustofnations
(regular) Wed 01-Jun-11 13:37:58
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I don't think WPA-2 support is integrated into windows XP

I think you have to download the update here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?F...

Only new wireless cards support it though, so on a 6 year old laptop I highly doubt it supports WPA-2 unless you've upgraded the wifi card since the purchase date

EDIT: dual mode SHOULD work fine, very strange indeed. As you say the older clients should just default to WPA and the newer to WPA2. To be honest there's no point in using WPA 2 if your not using it on every device. Also it's an overkill security wise. IMO.

WPA is known to be vulnerable now, albeit it'd take you a long time to break in. Hence if your clients can do WPA2, then use it, as you're doing the sensible thing.
  Print Thread

Jump to