Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Nov-11 12:52:21
Print Post

System Stealth Mode

[link to this post]

Check to see if your router is operating in stealth mode for computer security. (My results below) smile

Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS
Many Internet connection IP addresses are associated with a DNS machine name. (But yours is not.) The presence of "Reverse DNS", which allows the machine name to be retrieved from the IP address, can represent a privacy and possible security concern for Internet consumers since it may uniquely and persistently identify your Internet account and therefore you and may disclose other information, such as your geographic location.
When present, reverse DNS is supported by Internet service providers. But no such lookups are possible with your current Internet connection address (2.39.138.109). That's generally a good thing. wink (My IP Address has been changed for security)

Check your computers (All Service Ports) for Stealth Mode https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet solicited or otherwise was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Tue 29-Nov-11 13:03:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Dec-11 16:06:11
Print Post

Re: System Stealth Mode

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Grc has some useful tools, but the scaremongering means I very rarely send people there

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Dec-11 17:39:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've always used ShieldsUP! Never had an issue with it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-11 17:47:33
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

This crops up every so often!!! ;(
"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating....." which is absolute rubbish as I know for a fact that a port in use for FTP was wide open when the test was run. It continually fails to register this fact.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Dec-11 17:57:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

It all works, it's just the recommendations are a bit misguided. I fail the test, and in some respects I wish more people would, because I think enabling ICMP is important and can be very useful in diagnostic when it comes to broadband faults..

Jump to