Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Sat 24-Dec-11 19:01:12
Print Post

Is it secure?

[link to this post]

I've only ever had two routers, the first earlier this year after using a modem until getting a new computer, and someone else set it up for me.
After many disconnects in recent weeks, I was advised to try a new router so got the Billion 7800n (may upgrade to FTTC sooon).
Disconnects seem to have stopped and it's been steady for 11 days now smile

However, I suddenly realised after a few days that the wireless was not protected, and seeing we don't use the wireless, I disabled it and there's now a red X next to it's status in the router interface, and the routers wireless indicator light off.

I have also changed the log-in password for the router - Is it now safe please ?
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sat 24-Dec-11 20:47:14
Print Post

Re: Is it secure?

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

yes, it's safe enough
Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Sat 24-Dec-11 23:37:00
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Thank you! smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sun 25-Dec-11 02:52:16
Print Post

If the wireless is turned off, it's turned off.

The only way they can get in is to physically connect a cable to your network
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Dec-11 04:03:37
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
If the wireless is turned off, it's turned off.

The only way they can get in is to physically connect a cable to your network
to any pc connected maybe, but routers can be hacked if the attacker knows how to, but the likelihood of this is happening very remote unless it's with your consent IE ISP field engineer or similar but again would be dependant on brand of router and user config
But on the more likely piggybacking of wireless by opportunists note, unless they happen to :
1, be within the wireless range of the router's wireless signal
2,Are able to guess it's login details ect
As said no wireless signal, then zero chance of someone accessing router/network via that method if wireless function is disabled or properly secured

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 25-Dec-11 04:07:30)

Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Mon 26-Dec-11 02:17:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks to you too ukhardy07 & Tommy45 for the reassurance.

I had been a bit worried because I got an email from my ISP a few days ago telling me that my customer page was being accessed 30,000 times per month and using a bit of my bandwidth - whether that was an average based on a short time, I don't know yet. They may have the answer after the holidays and are monitoring the issue.
I've only been with them since Nov 17th, and the new router put in place on Dec 12th.
The customer page doesn't contain any sensitive information, so an odd thing to target.

Having run a number of scans, and assistance from Kaspersky UK, nothing amiss has been found, and my computer is working perfectly normally. The Kaspersky network monitor shows nothing untoward either.

The only problem I could think of was that the wireless was enabled on my new router for some days before I realised that I hadn't set any security on the wireless part of it. I disabled it as soon as I realised that.

I did think it was then pretty secure from outside access, but am glad to have the reassurances here smile
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Dec-11 02:51:25
Print Post

I had been a bit worried because I got an email from my ISP a few days ago telling me that my customer page was being accessed 30,000 times per month and using a bit of my bandwidth
from that part of your last post, would suggest that you host a web site from your or one of your pc's behind the router, if this is the case then the traffic /visits) to that site will count as usage it on a capped product,

Is one of many reasons why some pay to host their web sites on a remote sever with unlimited bandwidth, particularly if your are hosting down loadable content

Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Mon 26-Dec-11 11:07:12
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

You are right about my having a website, but it's only for information, and most visits/pageloads (which are in far lower numbers than 1000 per day) are from people who are aware of my work anyway.
Plus, it's hosted by Easily on their servers, and I pay for bandwidth for it separately with them.

The 30,000 visits are apparently from my ip number to the ip number for my service info page with my ISP.

Just in case it had been something to do with the insecured wireless on my router to blame, I asked if it had only been for a relatively short time and had stopped some days earlier, but they couldn't get that information just yet (holidays).
Standard User QuilabegeSine
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 10:00:19
Print Post

Re: Is it secure? *DELETED*

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Sadoldman
  Print Thread

Jump to