Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slipalong
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 10:07:50
Print Post

Re: nasty telephone call

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

These people have been targeting this area for many weeks,mainly because the folk are elderly,I felt left out as I did not receive one until a week ago,as mentioned in the post the numbers are withheld or similar

One of the joys of having a Fritzbox is you can block calls with no number along with the ones with numbers who call to tell you about your accident claim, the fact you are with TPS means nothing to these people
Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-May-12 10:44:18
Print Post

[re: slipalong] [link to this post]

......the fact you are with TPS means nothing to these people

If they are calling from outside the UK (which many/most are) then the TPS service cannot block them frown

ZeN Active ADSL2+
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every man should have at least two computers; one to use and one to tinker with.
Standard User bathsheba666
(learned) Wed 16-May-12 11:45:11
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

My favourite is to keep agreeing with them, and when they think you are coming along, they will direct your attention to the keyboard, and the Windows function key sitting in between Ctrl and Alt at bottom left of keyboard.

At this point I inform them that I have a custom keyboard, and this space is occupied by a red light, which is now flashing.

This usually makes them pause, until they decide they misheard and try again.

Then I say, well, you're a microsoft expert, right, so you know what the red flashing light means ?

When they eventually have to acknowledge the question, even if it isn't in their script, that's when I tell them it means..
"the phone is ringing, and some lying £$%^&*( "£$% is trying to scam me for money."

What was even funnier, one of them was really shocked by this, and informed me:
"you are a bad man, you will go to hell"

Talk about moral relativism...

bathsheba666

cix > pipex > nildram > adls24 > o2 pro > Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by bathsheba666 (Wed 16-May-12 11:47:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 16-May-12 11:51:17
Print Post

[re: bathsheba666] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bathsheba666:
My favourite is to keep agreeing with them, and when they think you are coming along, they will direct your attention to the keyboard, and the Windows function key sitting in between Ctrl and Alt at bottom left of keyboard.
I sometimes play along like that, and can usually string it out for a few more minutes with confusion about which key they are referring to.

At which point I ask innocently "Does it matter that I'm using a Mac?"

"Click" from the other end grin

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Wed 16-May-12 11:53:47)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-May-12 12:30:25
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

These people seem to know that the phone number has a computer connected to it. It might be interesting if a poll of those who have received such calls as to who their telcoms/service providers are is conducted.
I've known many people who have received such calls and in almost every case, two ISP's are involved. What's more interesting is that they have called their ISP's call centres in the months leading up to the calls.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 16-May-12 12:37:32
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

That doesn't surprise me. Were their call centres in India?

To be fair, it seems to be individuals in the call centre making a quick buck by selling user data rather than the ISPs themselves.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Wonko
(committed) Wed 16-May-12 13:01:27
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Well i have never had one of these calls, and now I am feeling left out.

frown
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 16-May-12 13:07:01
Print Post

[re: Wonko] [link to this post]

I've never had one either. frown

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User JonasTone
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 14:56:04
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Actually calling your telephone provider and getting the number for these people and reporting to the police may be a good idea, as they can get the Regulatory body for the industry aware of the situation and may be able to get something sorted
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-May-12 15:02:55
Print Post

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
More recently, if it's 'number witheld' or 'unavailable', I usually lift up the reciever and then hang up.
I bought a box off Amazon that solves that problem. It can be programmed to reject specific numbers but by default it rejects any call without an ID. It cost me £30 but it's been worth it.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to