Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:00:14
Print Post

speedtouch 585

[link to this post]

Hi smile
Was trying to get my WEP key from my speedtouch today and noticed I had 2 unknown devices on my local network.
I have not added them and I don't know how to get them off. Can someone help me at all please?

rachael-32krcle
Ethernet Interface unknown rachael-32krcle

Many thanks
Helan
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:35:23
Print Post

Re: speedtouch 585

[re: Helan] [link to this post]

Hi Helan,

The best way is to change your WEP key to something else (ideally, change from WEP to WPA-Personal1 or 2). Then restart the router, this will kick off anyone with an active wireless connection and disallow them to reconnect as the password will no longer work.

These seem to be wired devices though so it is where someone has used a cable to connect, is it possible they are visitors etc?

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Wed 01-Aug-12 18:35:37)

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:44:29
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
change from WEP to WPA-Personal1 or 2
Good advice. Software is readily available to hack WEP keys in minutes.

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(regular) Wed 01-Aug-12 19:37:29
Print Post

When did you last boot your router. These do not mean they are in use now. But have been at some time since last boot.
Re Boot (Start ) router and they should disappear.
Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 08:41:40
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Hi Helan,

The best way is to change your WEP key to something else (ideally, change from WEP to WPA-Personal1 or 2). Then restart the router, this will kick off anyone with an active wireless connection and disallow them to reconnect as the password will no longer work.

These seem to be wired devices though so it is where someone has used a cable to connect, is it possible they are visitors etc?

Hi Pipexer, long time no speak smile
hope you are well smile

I phoned Zen in the end and they were extremely helpful, we did exactly what you said and changed the the WPA-PSK Encryption and put in a new encryption key and rebooted router and PC.

The only visitors we have who use my network have i-phones or i-pads so I dont know who she is but we were just away for a week in spain and she was using 1 gig a day (while we were in Spain) so lesson there is to turn off the router and to check my network more often.

I do have another couple of questions though if you don't mind?

How do I delete her from showing on my local network devices page? She still seems to be listed on there.
and
How do I change the password on the router so it is not default (I did previously change it to something different but its now default which isn't very secure).

Thanks in advance for any help smile

[edit] Cancel that I have just managed to figure out how to delete it smile
obviously need more coffee before posting in the mornings lol
Thank you for your help smile

Edited by Helan (Thu 02-Aug-12 08:50:48)

Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 08:43:05
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
When did you last boot your router. These do not mean they are in use now. But have been at some time since last boot.
Re Boot (Start ) router and they should disappear.

Thank you for the reply smile
Was a long time ago I had to reboot the router but I did that last night and they are still showing on the listed devices. Any idea how to delete them?
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 10:24:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Helan:
..... Was a long time ago I had to reboot the router but I did that last night and they are still showing on the listed devices. Any idea how to delete them?

To get real control over the router you'll need to log in as a "SuperUser". Attaining this depends on whether or not the router is a standard Thomson or whether it's ISP supplied.
Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 10:34:45
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
In reply to a post by Helan:
..... Was a long time ago I had to reboot the router but I did that last night and they are still showing on the listed devices. Any idea how to delete them?

To get real control over the router you'll need to log in as a "SuperUser". Attaining this depends on whether or not the router is a standard Thomson or whether it's ISP supplied.

Hello smile

I can't remember now it was so long ago but I suspect I bought it myself as I usually do although it's only been my 2nd router they seem to last well in our house smile
Standard User flippery
(regular) Thu 02-Aug-12 10:47:44
Print Post

Some routers will remove leases with reset. Some require power to be removed for 30 minutes, unplug, to remove from memory.
The most drastic is to reset to default and reinstall. Should not be necessary.
Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 11:23:03
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
Some routers will remove leases with reset. Some require power to be removed for 30 minutes, unplug, to remove from memory.
The most drastic is to reset to default and reinstall. Should not be necessary.

Oh I can't be bothered to do a reinstall knowing my luck something will go awol on me smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to