Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lioncity67
(newbie) Mon 19-Nov-12 17:06:44
Print Post

New to this

[link to this post]

I am trying to convince my company to go with 3G dongles for remote access. Our IT says "there is NO way 3G dongles can provide the security measures necessary" This seems like a stretch to me. Any ideas, help appreciated.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Nov-12 18:33:31
Print Post

Re: New to this

[re: lioncity67] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lioncity67:
I am trying to convince my company to go with 3G dongles for remote access. Our IT says "there is NO way 3G dongles can provide the security measures necessary" This seems like a stretch to me. Any ideas, help appreciated.

Depends what you are remote accessing. It could be their Line of Business app isn't very secure. If they have made their minds up they probably wont bend, but you could always ask them why they wont just allow a secure VPN session over 3g dongles or an encrypted terminal services session. There are ways of securing communication over a public medium (obviously).

Sometimes it is just the fact they don't want to allow remote access end of.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 19-Nov-12 19:12:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by lioncity67:
Our IT says

Is that the IT Manager?

If so, you might give up. Even if you can prove the manager wrong, the manager won't be seen to be wrong. If it's a single individual, also known as 'our IT' then your cause may be just as fruitless, since bosses sometimes listen to the 'IT' over all others with matters relating to IT (not so silly all the time).

It might help if you can explain why you think 3G dongles are the best solution versus other solutions. What's the setup, and is your solution more practical, less costly and of more value to the company than other solutions?

Have you produced a report to this effect? Would you?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Nov-12 20:12:45
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

People like AAISP will do static IP over a 3G data sim for a price, so the old you need to be on a static to get through the firewall is not issue

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lioncity67
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-12 03:13:55
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks
Standard User lioncity67
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-12 03:15:50
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Thanks,

We have 16 remote locations using V/Sat. Converting to 3G will save 71K per month.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 23:15:19
Print Post

Devices like the WiBE Deltenna may be worth a look, the antenna do work better than a phone and most 3G dongles, Allowing you to get 3G in more areas.

Does not always work but if just outside 3G area it is likely to help

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Dec-12 08:52:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

had a similair issue at work, boss guy decided that everyone can get their own hotmail and gmail accounts for work emails as they could not get the domain name to work properly

external it guy told them it was quite easy to set up, but decision made...

one of the upsides is that any emails I send to other members can not be read by the boss smile

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Dec-12 17:39:26
Print Post

[re: scragglymonk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by scragglymonk:
had a similair issue at work, boss guy decided that everyone can get their own hotmail and gmail accounts for work emails as they could not get the domain name to work properly

Oh dear - sounds like a disaster waiting to happen when they ever need to migrate their systems or deploy a proper email system. How long was this ago? Office 365/Exchange Online is super easy to setup and highly reliable.

Zen 8000 Pro
  Print Thread

Jump to