Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 20-Nov-12 18:38:55
Print Post

"Free Update to Norton"

[link to this post]

I'm a registered, paid-up Norton 360 user, so as you might expect Norton do have my email address.

I've had a communication from them which looks legitimate, but I've only been with them three months, so don't yet know what is "normal".

Basically, the email is inviting me to "click to update" to a newer software version - Norton 2013. I thought I was subscribed to auto-update, so I'm a bit suspicious of a "click here to get it" email, especially as there haven't been any previously.

But Googling suggests there has indeed been a major project launch, so the facts fit...

I just don't know enough to confirm it's genuine.

Have other Norton users received similar? Did you act on it, and was everything OK?

Ta,

Tina
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Nov-12 19:01:38
Print Post

Re: "Free Update to Norton"

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

If I'm unsure about update links in emails I usually go to the relevant website and check for the update there.

If it helps this is Norton's Update Centre: http://updatecenter.norton.com/Manual/Index/

I don't use Norton products so can't help from experience.

Alastair

omadasafisho 20CN
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 20-Nov-12 19:35:15
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Hmmm. It does suggest there's a relevant update available (manual check only), but I can't tell if it's the same update I'm being offered in the email...

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Nov-12 20:01:13
Print Post

Yes, I has this this AM. I was a bit suspicious of it but the email addy it was sent to was the exclusive one I use for Norton.

The sending email addy & links in it showed the domain nortonfromsymantec.com which also made me wonder. However when I clicked on a link (not intending to allow any download) it led to to the usual updatecenter.norton.com, so it looks genuine.

I therefore think it is pukka esp. considering that Oct/Nov is to normal timescale for release of a new version of Norton 2013.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Nov-12 20:03:19
Print Post

Perfectly normal my friend smile
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 20-Nov-12 20:17:43
Print Post

Here's the rub. Do you trust Norton enough to block it if it's bad? smile

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 20-Nov-12 20:21:23
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Aaaaaagggggh! grin
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 20-Nov-12 20:35:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

It seemed to have the right vibes about it, but I just found it rather odd the software didn't auto-update, or at least prompt me there was an update available, instead of relying on email. And, as I say, I haven't been a customer long enough to know if that's normal procedure for Norton/Symantec.

I also found it strange they seem to be presenting it as a special, time-limited offer. Wouldn't paying subscribers be entitled to the latest updates anyway, so what do I get that's a bonus? It looks as if the only time-limit is when my subscription expires - but I wouldn't expect updates to stay open to me after that anyway (might be a short grace period, just in case I forgot to renew).

If I haven't paid up-to-date, I don't expect to be able to maintain the latest version.

It's prolly legit - just a bit strangely presented.

T.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Nov-12 21:29:01
Print Post

It's only time limited by the duration of your subs.

As long as your subs are live you are always entitled to download the latest version of your Norton software. It's only after your subs expire that you don't get the latest virus definitions.

EDIT: As you say, the version updates are usually offered by the software itself, as they have been for me for many years, not by email.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 20-Nov-12 21:31:30)

Standard User omnius
(regular) Tue 20-Nov-12 21:29:10
Print Post

Right click the icon in the task bar and select check for update.

I updated to 2013 nearly 4 month ago

A little other note as well, most stores sell the previous version off cheap once the new one is out but the keys still work, cheap way of renewing that ive been useing for the last 6 years

---------------------------
I live for the one, I die for the one.
Yep I really am THAT thick!

My Broadband Ping

Edited by omnius (Tue 20-Nov-12 21:31:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to