Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User UnionCastle
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 10:54:02
Print Post

Kasperski 2013 with Malwarebytes. Do I need both?

[link to this post]

Hello,
I have Kaspersky 2013 AV which I got free from Barclays and a computer engineer who sorted my computer out installed Malwarebytes trial also saying it was very good.

Now the trial period has finished they want £24 to continue, do I need this?
I don't mind paying if it is advisable.

I use the internet a lot on my home computer and have Windows XP.

Any advice for a relative novice would be welcome.

Thank you
Standard User andygegg
(regular) Mon 21-Jan-13 11:50:31
Print Post

Re: Kasperski 2013 with Malwarebytes. Do I need both?

[re: UnionCastle] [link to this post]

Firstly, you do not want more than one AV product in always-on, monitoring mode - they tend to interfere with each other something horrible (I am open to correction on this!). Certainly pick one or the other, or any other of the leading AVs as the constant monitor and have one or more to be run on demand. Different AVs spot and handle different viruses, etc so the belt, braces and bit of string approach is worthwhile. For what it's worh, I use (paid-for) Norton as the main AV and Malware byes (free) along with HitmanPro (free from SurfRight) for on-demand use. MalwareBytes support is pretty good. In your position, I'd probably stick with Kaspersky, get rid of your current MalwareBytes and install the free version. None of this is a substitute for proper net hygiene - be careful with emails, social network links, etc. Hope this helps - and pay attention to any ridicule heaped upon me!

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime! (Nearly true Dec 2011)
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Mon 21-Jan-13 11:55:53
Print Post

[re: UnionCastle] [link to this post]

I've used Kaspersky for past four years, on three computers, and have had no problems. It has certainly killed some nasties. I did try Malwarebytes a few years ago and found it was fine but I don't see any need for another programme, especially when they want £24 for it! Sounds like the usual gimmick, 'free' download followed by a demand for money.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 21-Jan-13 12:29:30
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Free = no real-time protection.
Pro = real-time protection, for a small fee.
Standard User TrishaH
(committed) Mon 21-Jan-13 18:33:15
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Yes, the free version of MWB only runs on demand and doesn't interfere with KIS AV.
It's useful to have for an extra check when required, and will update when opened for use.

I also use the SuperantiSpyware online scanner each month to eliminate tracking cookies and then do a quick scan.

Print Thread

Jump to