Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Fri 25-Jan-13 14:43:29
Print Post

Jave

[link to this post]

Nagging me from all quarters is to remove Java, or at the very least disable that functionality. So I decided to disable it for the time being. I have to say that so far it doesn't seem to have affected my use of the Internet in any way so presumably my security level has risen with no known downside.

However the speed test on this site advises me to download Java. Well the flash version seems to work OK, so why suggest to those that don't have Java loaded, or not enabled, to download software that has security implications for your PC?

Since the flash versions neither gives a hyperlink to your results or the ability to display a graphic of such in your footer, I reckon that those that do are advertising the fact that they have an insecure PC.

If I have got the wrong end of the stick, please say so and I will go and hide in a corner.
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Fri 25-Jan-13 18:13:06
Print Post

Re: Jave

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Every piece of software has security flaws. Flash does, even Windows does and thats why they release fixes every month. So the only way to be secure is not have internet access
Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Fri 25-Jan-13 18:56:15
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Every piece of software has security flaws. Flash does, even Windows does and thats why they release fixes every month. So the only way to be secure is not have internet access

With nearly every news outlet along with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security calling for its removal from PCs, why put your head in the sand?

I NEED Internet access but don't appear to need Java, as indeed it seems to be the case for the majority of users. Fixes and patches strengthens the essentials to keep me out of trouble but why put myself in the firing line unnecessarily?

This is worthy of a read on the subject: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/01/new-java-exploit...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Fri 25-Jan-13 18:57:30
Print Post

Flash speed tests are fine. There's speedtest.net, bbmax, etc. Remove Java from your main PC and use it inside a virtual machine if you need it.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Fri 25-Jan-13 19:03:08
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

The latest versions of Flash & Windows update themselves automatically without involving the user. Java does _not_ do this. Cyber criminals take full advantage of the 1+ billion instances of Java running on desktop machines.
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Fri 25-Jan-13 19:37:57
Print Post

Dont get my wrong ive disabled java plugin and dont tend to enable it again anytime soon, just stating that java isnt the only software with security issues
Standard User Gari
(experienced) Sat 02-Feb-13 21:46:16
Print Post

Well I completely removed Java from my PC and laptop, I haven't miissed it all all except that the NVIDIA product detection and updater no longer works.
I now use flash based speedtesters
  Print Thread

Jump to