Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(committed) Tue 26-Feb-13 01:19:46
Print Post

Amazon annoying

[link to this post]

Not so much a security issue, but feels like an invasion of privacy.
I know there's plenty of tracking stuff, but this is the most direct type of marketing 'intrusion' I've seen.

Twice in the past week, I've been searching through specific items on Ebay UK, and within 24-48 hours, get an email from Amazon UK promoting the same type of items!

How are they getting this information about my searches on Ebay - are Ebay allowing Amazon to pick up net identifiable info re peoples search details?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Feb-13 01:34:40
Print Post

Re: Amazon annoying

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

Never had this & I use both.

You sure it's pukka Amazon emails?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User TrishaH
(committed) Tue 26-Feb-13 02:08:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes, they certainly appear to be so.
I haven't clicked on any of the listed items in tonights email, but did a few days ago with different items - definitely Amazon.

Never had this myself before either and been using both for years.

Recently had an issue where the IE9 back button wasn't working on a couple of sites and a search showed some other people having the same problem, so was able to find solutions: one was google ad stuff inbetween the page I was viewing and the previous page, and the other one was a pinterest ad thing in the same position. Used the Windows tracking protection for the Google one and added the pinterest one to the blocked list.
Worked fine for both and had no further issues.

Just wondered if this Amazon/Ebay thing is something similar that gleans info.
I suppose it could be two creepy coincidences ...I'll see if it happens again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Feb-13 02:08:23
Print Post

I use both too. I only get receipts and despatch notices from Amazon. I would check the emails very carefully.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User TrishaH
(committed) Tue 26-Feb-13 02:13:09
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

OK I will.
All the header info looks genuine on tonights, and with the first one I did click on one of the listed items ..took me straight to Amazon.

I deleted the first one though - it annoyed me in the same way unsolicited phone calls do frown

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Feb-13 02:26:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
I haven't clicked on any of the listed items in tonight's email, but did a few days ago with different items - definitely Amazon.
It's one thing for a link in an email to point at Amazon (anyone can construct such) and another for the email to be actually sent by Amazon (& even that can be forged).

For all you know a seller on eBay is also on Amazon Marketplace and somehow got hold of your email addy and is advertising his wares. Were those links you clicked on for Marketplace items? I'm lucky in that I can use unique email addys for each site and so identify the source of where they got my addy.

If you like, PM me with the email headers and I'll see if I can make out anything.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Feb-13 08:51:40
Print Post

I'm not sure that it will help in this case but you should consider using DNT+.
Standard User TrishaH
(committed) Tue 26-Feb-13 17:42:57
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks.
I use the same email address for both, but different passwords, so email could be used.
I'll send the header info in a PM.

Standard User TrishaH
(committed) Tue 26-Feb-13 17:48:27
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Thanks - I've bookmarked that smile

Is Microsoft Tracking Protection not too good?

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Feb-13 18:12:10
Print Post

Many major organisations are committed to ignore MS's institution of DNT because of petty arguments over default settings. However, those organisations realise that installation of DNT+ is, by default, a user choice and so have agreed to respect that choice.

Edited by Deadbeat (Tue 26-Feb-13 18:13:40)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to