Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikebear
(learned) Sat 22-Jun-13 14:47:16
Print Post

Do take care, if you are or have been a Nationwide customer.

[link to this post]

I have just had an email headed :- Limitations of Account & Financial Report.

"Valued Nationwide Customer,

This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that

your account has been restricted due to a second party log on."

followed by link to get restriction lifted.

I have NEVER been a Nationwide customer so know this is a baddie.

Do take care,especially if you are or have been a Nationwide customer.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-13 20:28:27
Print Post

Re: Do take care, if you are or have been a Nationwide custo

[re: mikebear] [link to this post]

Typical phishing!

Nowt special about Nationwide; you can get them for any bank or even Internet a/c.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sat 22-Jun-13 23:52:33
Print Post

[re: mikebear] [link to this post]

If a genuine Nationwide customer's account had a problem, Nationwide would contact them by phone.
I know this because I was paying for a laptop last week and the payment wouldn't go through ..Nationwides automated system decided it was possibly fraud because I'd bought a small item from the same company the week before smile
It wasn't a problem - I just needed to verify that it was indeed me making the purchase. Couldn't really be cross with their caution.

They do send emails regarding confirmation of new savings account applications, new products etc, but they always have the full postcode top and bottom, and they address one by name.
I'd never click on a link in any financial institutions emails, even if I was virtually convinced it was genuine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Jun-13 08:58:02
Print Post

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

<snip>
I'd never click on a link in any financial institutions emails, even if I was virtually convinced it was genuine.

Same here, prefer going direct to the website (logging in if necessary) to check things out.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sun 23-Jun-13 20:37:05
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Halifax email part of your postcode to prove the email comes from them, dunno if other banks do.

Im amazed so many fall for these scams. Its basic internet security
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 23-Jun-13 20:46:24
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

A lot of the public don't know a thing about basic internet security but could probably tell you what their favourite celebrity had for breakfast, lunch and dinner for an entire week.

Too much social networking and 'reality' TV erodes common sense.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sun 23-Jun-13 20:51:25
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

True. If people are going to go to the trouble of setting up online banking, they need to know these things though. Not just for themselves, but clicking on links and going to dodgy websites allows hackers and virus makers to spread their virus/trojan etc quicker
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 23-Jun-13 21:01:12
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

The people that typiically fall for this stuff usually don't read guidance though so the weakest link in the system tends to be the user.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 23-Jun-13 21:36:25)

Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Jun-13 11:24:54
Print Post

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

Nationwide customers gets hit with a spate of these every year or every other year. Makes me wonder what sort of level of resources Nationwide puts into this area as I don't get anything like this from having accounts with the bigger banks, and surely it involves the selling of an (email) database?

Nationwide also plugs the use of Trusteer's Rapport software though I have no personal experience of it (and a lot of Internet Security suites do essentially the same thing).

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/internetbanking/fraudawa...

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/internetbanking/onlinese...

As others have said, the best policy is just to delete anything from a bank, legit or non-legit.

plusnet unlimited fibre

Edited by RiffRaff (Tue 25-Jun-13 11:25:56)

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jun-13 11:54:49
Print Post

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RiffRaff:
Nationwide customers gets hit with a spate of these every year or every other year. Makes me wonder what sort of level of resources Nationwide puts into this area as I don't get anything like this from having accounts with the bigger banks, and surely it involves the selling of an (email) database?

On most occasions it is simply "phishing" that is sent out to both Nationwide & non-Nationwide Customers!

The scammers are not bothered & are just hoping that someone, with a Nationwide A/C, will respond!

Regards,
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to