Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Aug-13 16:18:17
Print Post

Babycam hacking

[link to this post]

Very scary BBC Article. Particularly relevant to Foscam/GadgetFreakz and Trendnet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 14-Aug-13 23:43:09
Print Post

Re: Babycam hacking

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Some very dark possibilities!

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Aug-13 00:09:34
Print Post

Not scary, predictable! - anyone who knows anything about IT knows this is a possibility. Security in depth. This is why organizations don't just put all their servers straight onto the internet, that is why they have firewalls, subnets, etc, etc! If people aren't confident exposing their linux and UNIX servers or whatever straight to the WWW what chance does the programming of a cheapo home IP camera stand when exposed to the internet?

As for users who have had their cameras hacked because they have not changed the username and password, well they deserve what they get.

Sorry not much sympathy from me, we are not yet in this magical ultra secure IT environment that is predicted and home users still need to take responsibility and common sense for their actions.

Without going into too much detail I could have told the BBC last year things like this could be possible with cheapo IP cameras anyone been interested, and this discovery came only from faffing about with my own IP cameras.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Thu 15-Aug-13 00:13:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 00:13:41
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
As for users who have had their cameras hacked because they have not changed the username and password, well they deserve what they get.

They might deserve a little comedic "Hallo!" down the lines, but not to the kid. That's not very funny. I suppose though, if there's no real harm done, and it gets parents thinking about web security (specifically keeping their kids away from the net when not being supervised).

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

Stamp out Social Media Racism
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 00:29:27
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

More disturbing to me was the name of the girl being picked up in the first case, and the entry of the parent being seen in the second.

If the hacker keeps quiet, we are left with the possibility of paedophilic voyeurism, with onward circulation.

I do not think typical parents should be expected to realise an internet babycam needs security setting up. Even if changing the username and password from the default is recommended in the instructions.

They'll be pleased enough with themselves at getting it working at all, and how secure a username and password are they going to dream up?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 00:38:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
and how secure a username and password are they going to dream up?

Even before the web (for me that was 1997/8 ish), I used relatively secure passwords. Always believed there was a chance of the worst. Not that there was anything worse than a CV or an embarrassing diary entry or two. smile

~ Camieabz ~

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 00:51:50
Print Post

Likewise. But neither of us is typical of today's babycam buyer.

A couple of the manufacturers appear to have implemented security patches, so better safeguards are possible.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 01:24:02
Print Post

I did have a webcam for a while when chatting online to my Dad. I always made a point of pointing it to the desk when not in use. Apart from anything else, I wasn't the only user of the PC.

~ Camieabz ~

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 09:40:06
Print Post

I think people will be well aware that a webcam attached to their computer will be just as vulnerable as the computer itself. My point is I have grave doubts as to whether the same association is made in the minds of most parents setting up a babycam for them to monitor the well-being of their child.

At the time of purchase and installation they have different motives and thoughts.

As a point of interest, I have no idea of the status of the camera facing me from the top of my screen right now. Hmmm crazy.

Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 15-Aug-13 09:48:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As a point of interest, I have no idea of the status of the camera facing me from the top of my screen right now. Hmmm crazy.
A bit of sticky tape will immediately solve that problem smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to