Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DeanGoods
(newbie) Thu 22-Aug-13 14:13:01
Print Post

Can I check upload activity, file-by-file?

[link to this post]

Using IE8 on XP SP3 PC, I was suddenly stopped from working, as if PAUSE had been pressed.
I wondered if there was any evidence of the cause on TBB and looked at the graph. For just over a minute, there was about 1½MBps of upward / upload activity. I suspect the worst, and wondered if someone had 'sight' of my HDD files, would it show up in this manner.
To investigate, is there a log file of up and down activity, on my machine? Does TBB maintain a record? I have Kaspersky 2012 and ISP is BT BB.
Any ideas?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Aug-13 15:45:20
Print Post

Re: Can I check upload activity, file-by-file?

[re: DeanGoods] [link to this post]

There is no log file of your browser activity (other than its webpage History). Why should TTB keep a record of your browser activity?

I find IE8 very laggy and lumpy esp. on busy webpages. Often best to close it and restart it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 22-Aug-13 15:47:09)

Standard User DeanGoods
(newbie) Fri 23-Aug-13 15:32:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
Perhaps naive of me to expect a list because it would intrude on my privacy. However, perhaps it's not so naÔve? There must be a metering device in either TBB or the OS, and one of them must measure packet throughput. Does one of them label and then log the packets using a filename?
I agree, IE8 has its problems. My main browser is Firefox but Iím more familiar with IE. When I observed the problem, I happened to be using IE for a quick search. Ffx was simultaneously resting in the background. I donít know which or if running both browsers simultaneously was the culprit but it wouldíve been wrong to state I was using Ffx in the post.
So the question remains, is there a log of the files or data being uploaded, or is there another way to find what caused the traffic surge?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Aug-13 20:34:30
Print Post

[re: DeanGoods] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DeanGoods:
So the question remains
So, I ask you again, why should TBB keep any record of your browsing? It has no connection with you except when you are browsing it itself.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to