Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Sep-13 10:15:24
Print Post

Looking for new AV/Security suit

[link to this post]

Iíll be buying my first Window 8 system before the end of the month. I think it will ship preinstalled with a 60-day trial of Symantecís AV and security suite. I used Symantec products for almost ten years until a paid-for annual update crashed an XP system, necessiting a clean install. Moreover, by that time the product was hogging resources. I donít want to go for it again. I like Zone Alarmís firewall but lack faith in its AV. What to go for? At he moment Iím looking at the following:

· BitDefender
· Panda
· Eset

Iíd welcome your opinion of these products and alternatives
Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Sep-13 16:22:48
Print Post

Re: Looking for new AV/Security suit

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

i used to use Panda but now i use Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and have done for the past 2 years and im very happy.

AMD FX-4100 X4, MSI 990FXA-GD80, 16GB DDR 3 Cosair Vengence 1600Mhz, 9351.1GB Hard Disk Space, 2GB ATI 6670 HD PCI-E 16x Graphics, 850watt PSU.

Ex AOL Dialup 56k Customer....
Ex Freedom2Surf 512k and Ex Eclipse Internet 2mb Customer.

Virgin Media 120mb Cable.

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2943275661.png
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Thu 12-Sep-13 16:52:15
Print Post

No need to pay a dime for 3rd-party AV & FW. Win8 comes with decent AV and FW. Keeping on top of software patching is one of the most important tasks you can do these days. Secunia PSI will help you with this.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/tools-for-a-safer-pc/

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/05/krebss-3-basic-ru...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Sep-13 17:09:20
Print Post

[re: JimKirk363] [link to this post]

I had a bad experience with Kaspersky...but it was back in 2001 on a Win 2K platform! BitDefender is gettting good write ups in the PC press
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Sep-13 17:12:29
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

I agree about the MS security patches but is the onboard security on Win 8 really that good? It's better since Win 7 but so far I havn't gone without my extra layers laugh
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Thu 12-Sep-13 18:20:50
Print Post

It's a perfectly acceptable freeware solution. Other software including Java, etc, still needs to be patched as soon as updates are released, not just Microsoft products.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Sep-13 18:58:09
Print Post

I'm happy with the free version of Comodo Internet Security Premium which I'm using with Windows XP.

If you decide to give the download ago, as with other software always tick the box for the custom installation so you can choose what to install from the Comodo download.

Thread to read from the Comodo forum.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Sep-13 19:05:48
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
I'm happy with the free version of Comodo Internet Security Premium which I'm using with Windows XP.

If you decide to give the download ago, as with other software always tick the box for the custom installation so you can choose what to install from the Comodo download.

Thread to read from the Comodo forum.

Agree 100% with that, unless of course one has a Barclays Bank account in which case Kaspersky IS would be another "free" alternative smile
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Sep-13 19:44:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by ARD:
I agree about the MS security patches but is the onboard security on Win 8 really that good? It's better since Win 7 but so far I havn't gone without my extra layers laugh

Works fine if you ask me. I'm running it on all my computers at home and at work - no problems.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Fri 13-Sep-13 07:58:43
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I use MSE and Windows firewall on my Win 7 machine. Found from experience that 3rd party AV programs can have bad definition updates that list a critical windows process as a virus and breaks your machine.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to