Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 20:11:38
Print Post

Looking for a Very good VPN? Look no more!

[link to this post]

I wanted to post this here because I beleive the new features are worth relaying. I've been using astrill VPN since they started and I have 0 problems.

They are at www.astrill.com and they offer a 7 day trial to anyone. They have loads of servers and they have one of the best networks I have tried.

I'm currently on a friends PC using his virgin media connection at 120mbps and astrill maxes it out constantly on the UK servers. And also france and netherlands.

They ask for 3 month subs at $9.98 a month which is £18 a quarter. They also have some little extras which they give with the 7 day trial

They have openweb and openvpn but they also have stealthvpn which is double layer security and also undetectable as a vpn.

But the real REAL party trick they have is their vpn sharing.

After the trial this does cost an extra $1 a month BUT you just turn it on and then every device you connect to your wifi goes via the VPN. I can confirm this by watching it in action when I do a speedtest on the VM line but the PC is doing nothing.

I can confirm it even works wih a VM SH2 so it will work with anything.

Please don't remove this, I am not trying to sell it I am just passing it on. I truly believe the service will sell itself and I'm just a customer, nothing more.

I can't make a video as I can't hold my phone and my Ipad at the same time but it does work so even free for 7 days check it out!

"
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 09:58:22
Print Post

Re: Looking for a Very good VPN? Look no more!

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

So what purpose is a VPN used for? I have never seen the point myself - I understand the security levels of the Internet and am not really that concerned over NSA looking at my emails (in fact there is little in them that I would be particularly concerned about sharing publicly anyway). So, is your use of VPN to protect your privacy?
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 11-Oct-13 10:04:45
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
So what purpose is a VPN used for? I have never seen the point myself - I understand the security levels of the Internet and am not really that concerned over NSA looking at my emails (in fact there is little in them that I would be particularly concerned about sharing publicly anyway). So, is your use of VPN to protect your privacy?
A lot of commercial organisations use them between premises where a direct private connection isn't feasible (or is too expensive).

They're probably a lot less bothered about NSA (or GCHQ) than they are about their competitors!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Fri 11-Oct-13 11:20:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I use mine so that I can watch US netflix content as well as access to CBS and comedy central. I use unotelly which costs me something like £6 a month for their easy DNS and a VPN

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-13 14:19:47
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
A lot of commercial organisations use them between premises
Also for staff working from home into the corporate network.

EDIT: But then they tend to supply the VPN s/ware.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 11-Oct-13 14:21:06)

Standard User majika2007
(member) Fri 11-Oct-13 16:25:35
Print Post

This is what I do.
purchased a Asus RT N66U Router (or any WRT based router / embedded device capable of supporting Entware package installs and had writeable NVRAM and LAN port)

Loaded custom Firmware onto Router.
Added DNSCrypt.
Set a couple of ipset() rules.
implemented Immunicity Proxy bypass on router level.
Set up OpenDNS for primary/Secondery DNS also backup DNS by Open Root Server Network (http://www.orsn.org/en/)
Installed SoftEther VPN Server and VPN Bridge (Japanese Distributed VPN Mesh)

Now I can access Hulu and other US based services also access other blocked sites.
All done using Freely available technologies and services.
Happy in the fact my transmissions are encrypted via HTTPS using DNSCurve algorithm

Edited by majika2007 (Fri 11-Oct-13 16:27:33)

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-13 02:41:24
Print Post

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

And for those of us who aren't geeks a VPN is perfect. I do watch lots of regional TV also but yes I like the privacy angle. I don't mind paying. I don't care if my e-mails are few and far between. Privacy is my right and until such day as that right is stripped from me I will use a VPN to access the surface web as it should be. To hell with censorship i'm an adult I don't need my hand holding.

The VPN sharing option on astrill is like having a profile installed into a router. and is a good feature.

"

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 12-Oct-13 02:42:14)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 14:41:03
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Sorry, I should have been more precise. I know the corporate/business purposes of VPN it was the personal home use that interested me.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 14:43:25
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

OK, that is pretty much what I was suspecting then. It is being used, at least by many, to get around the controls that people who own media are putting on the access to that media. I will continue not to use it then as if they don't feel I should watch it then that is fine - they lose a customer.
Standard User davidblaine
(newbie) Mon 25-Nov-13 16:42:42
Print Post

I just use tor,, https://computerer.jux.com/1869187
  Print Thread

Jump to