Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jan-14 11:01:16
Print Post

Norton Internet Security renewal

[link to this post]

My NIS is soon due for renewal so went to the renewal website and was quoted £44.99 for 1 year including customer discount.

Decided to look at the Norton website for purchasing it new and it's £24.99 for a year!

So I got a new key for £24.99 and added to my existing account and saved £20.00

Dennis
plusnet Unlimited & talkanytime
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Jan-14 11:33:34
Print Post

Re: Norton Internet Security renewal

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

I'm guessing, but there is a good chance that your renewal was for 1 PC, whereas the new Download will be for 3 PCs!

Regards,
John
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jan-14 12:13:19
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Correct

I pc for £44.99, 3 pc's for £24.99

Doesn't make sense, just glad my renewal came up when Norton were doing a half price offer on new subscriptions!!

Dennis
plusnet Unlimited & talkanytime

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JPL
(committed) Tue 21-Jan-14 13:04:25
Print Post

The best strategy for Kaspersky used to be - and may still be - to buy the previous year's version of the product from an online retailer, where it will be discounted because it is no longer the latest version, and then use the purchased activation code with a download of the latest version. (A Kaspersky licence is valid for all updates during the licence period.) The CD you receive makes a good caster.

JPL
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jan-14 13:25:30
Print Post

[re: JPL] [link to this post]

Same with Norton and it could be from any previous year after 2006; the older the cheaper smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 17:33:20
Print Post

Strangely enough I had a new Laptop with a Trial version pre-loaded - which is just about to expire.

Out of curiosity, I thought I would check the Renewal Price & was amazed to find they only wanted £14.99.

On that basis I decided to renew & was even more amazed, when I got the confirmation, that it was a 3-off PC Licence!

Mind you, it did try to get me to sign up for Auto-Renew, which I declined!

Regards,
John
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Tue 04-Feb-14 17:46:18
Print Post

[re: JPL] [link to this post]

Just installed a five-PC version of KIS 2012 bought for £20 online. Download latest version 14.0.0.4651d from KIS website, enter activation code from 2012 box, dump CD from box, share excellent AV with your relatives! smile
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Feb-14 19:50:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I did use Norton back in the 1990's now prefer to go for FREE Antivirus and Anti-Malware protection. wink

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index-b?utm_expid=2275583...

http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Tue 04-Feb-14 21:29:25
Print Post

You make think this a bit bullish and contrary, but having inadvertently installed free Norton malware scanners countless times, I tend to treat Norton as malware itself. Unwanted software attached by default to a programme I wish to install is not to be trusted. Along with those unwanted toolbars and browser highjackers, Norton and Macfee invade my system just because I haven't spotted the box to untick.

Instead I use Microsoft Security Essentials running continuously, with Windows own firewall. To back this up I run occasional scans from Spybot and MalwareBytes. In case of infection and hard-to-remove rootkits I hold Spyhunter in reserve; the only utility I pay for.

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
  Print Thread

Jump to