Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 23:03:12
Print Post

Indian scammers have been working over time.

[link to this post]

Got a call from an Indian sounding bloke today who said my PC had been sending out critical errors. I said I have an iPad and put the phone down. But I know of at least 4 other people today who had the same call, fortunately none of them fell for it.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13914...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 23:08:42
Print Post

Re: Indian scammers have been working over time.

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

He did use the magic words 'Microsoft' and/or 'Windows'?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 23:13:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I dont think he did, but I put the phone down pretty quick after I heard your PC is sending us critical errors.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13914...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Feb-14 03:55:53
Print Post

My mother had a call from a subcontinental with a withheld number saying Microsoft had discovered a problem with her PC. Fortunately she's clued up enough to know it's a scam. She doesn't want her gutters cleaning either.

I miss out on all these exciting calls as my phone rejects all withheld number calls and I reject numbers I don't recognize smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Feb-14 08:29:48
Print Post

To those type of calls, I always try to sound very concerned & keep asking him to repeat everything!

Ask him to confirm the IP address & the MAC Code of the offending PC - ad infinitum!

Regards,
John
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 05-Feb-14 08:35:48
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

If I bother to take the call (they show as "Out of area"), I begin by having trouble finding the "Start" menu and go from there… when I get bored I ask if it matters that I'm using a Mac smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User flippery
(committed) Wed 05-Feb-14 09:14:10
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
If I bother to take the call (they show as "Out of area"), I begin by having trouble finding the "Start" menu and go from there… when I get bored I ask if it matters that I'm using a Mac smile

whilst we can all make light of the subject. it is a problem that needs to be addressed to the wider audience. Just like any other similar cold call.
Mac is that not an overcoat. Hmm how do you plug it in?
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 05-Feb-14 09:25:44
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
Hmm how do you plug it in?
The usual way I imagine- with a BS 1363 plug into one socket and an RJ45 into another.

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Feb-14 12:06:37
Print Post

I've just had one - very concerned gentleman about the errors that my computer was sending them.

He would be grateful if I would sit at my computer and he would then show me ....

Oh dear - I didn't have a control key at the bottom left hand corner of my keyboard - we did get confused about nomenclature smile

Eventually we sorted that out and then I was asked to press my Windows key - Ummm ?

Don't have one laugh

After about 15 mins of this sort of thing I was able to tell him that I don't use Windows , never have and never will. Believe it or not he continued to insist that I was using Windows and my machine was sending him messages. Their information is absolutely accurate - I was told. laugh So he then asked what I was using - and was told a laptop smile I think it eventually dawned on him that I really was not a Windows user .

He gave up

Now they are managing to spoof phone numbers - using 1471 I got 00118552348747 !

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.9 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 05-Feb-14 12:13:39
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

Control key, Windows key… that gives me an idea.

Maybe next time I'll go and sit in front of my Linux PC, it's got both- endless possibilities grin

Bill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to