Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 03-Mar-14 17:27:22
Print Post

DNS problems?

[link to this post]

A world-spanning network of hijacked home routers has been uncovered by security researchers.

The network involves more than 300,000 routers in homes and small businesses that have been taken over through loopholes in their core software.
Once routers were taken over, internal instructions were changed so they no longer asked servers at their owner's ISP for help looking up the location of websites they regularly visit.

Link to report from researchers (pdf).

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 03-Mar-14 22:42:08
Print Post

Re: DNS problems?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Standard network security procedures and policies should prevent most of that, if implemented.
Standard User mikebear
(regular) Wed 05-Mar-14 21:24:23
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I've just read about this in TechWorld newsletter :- http://news.techworld.com/networking/3505133/attack-...

I don't pretend to understand the details but remember that when I used Comodo Security there was a facility to block changes to DNS settings.

What is the best way to secure these settings?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Mar-14 13:44:35
Print Post

[re: mikebear] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikebear:
What is the best way to secure these settings?

Well, probably the best way is to run a dns caching server on your LAN that uses upstream DNS servers (i.e. your ISP's) rather than use the router as you LAN's DNS server - then if it does get compromised, as nothing uses it nothing much will go wrong.

Nick
PS I use http://dnsmasq.org/
  Print Thread

Jump to