Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User celad2001
(newbie) Sat 19-Apr-14 20:36:20
Print Post

local as in road or roads ipaddress resolution on sky fibre?

[link to this post]

hi
today my pc popped up my very local area location on the weather widget .
as in a very small area of my town..this area would be served by 1 or maybe 2 cabinets
is ip address resolution going to be generally possible now to street level.. my fibre cabinet has a few ipaddress ranges which i have seen when reconnecting, i am guessing lookup of ip resolution to street level is a good thing..??? or...?????
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Apr-14 13:09:27
Print Post

Re: local as in road or roads ipaddress resolution on sky fi

[re: celad2001] [link to this post]

Don't understand!

What do you mean by 'popped up my very local area location'?

Cabs don't have IP addys of themselves; they just route all users wiring back to exchange. IP addys are allocated by ISPs and are located wherever the ISP sees fit. My IP is geo-located miles from my home, variously in Bristol, Somerton and Hounslow grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Apr-14 18:18:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Mine jumps all over the place from London, to Norwich to the midlands. Google has my location different every day. Dunno how there geo-location works, would think it would pick a location and stick with it

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User celad2001
(newbie) Sun 20-Apr-14 19:04:55
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

ok so how does someone know where i live then..the pc hasnt gps, and the location now given on the weather widget is very specific,it isnt a post area,its a local house grounds description .

,i certainly and definately havent ever used the displayed location as an online address.???
since i have had fibre i have has ipaddresses in 2 subnets. one some time ago i cant remember the range and recently 151.231.***.45 . i have had last no 1 and 10 and 47 in my present subnet isnt it strange to have allocated addresses in such a small subnet if it isnt allocated at thecabinet.???
Standard User celad2001
(newbie) Sun 20-Apr-14 19:07:16
Print Post

when i say very local i mean an area of about 1/4 square mile..!!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Apr-14 19:22:53
Print Post

Put your current IP address into a whois search or something and check the location....

If it is your location then your suspicion is right

Short on time so nothing exhaustive and very crude but if it isn't then it will be being detected via another mechanism, there are many and it is a wise area of discussion/debate, one way it can be detected is people getting your wifi mac address on their phone and the phone uses its GPS to assign location data with that, that is then submitted to location trackers on the internet and hence your PC etc etc. Could be a cookie on your PC, could be many things...

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Apr-14 19:30:56
Print Post

Forget the cab & IP addys. You are barking up the wrong tree there.
In reply to a post by celad2001:
isn't it strange to have allocated addresses in such a small subnet if it isn't allocated at the cabinet.???
Not really since the whole lot (256K IPs) belong to Sky BB:
inetnum: 151.228.0.0 - 151.231.255.255
netname: BSKYB-BROADBAND-WIFI
descr: Sky Broadband
admin-c: BBH-RIPE
tech-c: BBH-RIPE
remarks: Please send abuse notifications to
mnt-by: BSKYB-BROADBAND-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered

role: BSkyB Broadband Hostmaster
address: Sky Network Services
address: 1 Brick Lane
address: London
address: E1 6PU
address: UK
You presumably live in Brick Lane grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 09:09:09
Print Post

Does the PC have WiFi? Or does any other PC/phone/whatever connected to the local router have WiFi?

If any of them have WiFi (or if a phone is connected to the network) then position can be triangulated by various means. WiFi can be used by seeing the strengths of the networks around you. Mobile network can do it as well. Any one device that can triangulate position using WiFi or mobile network will report that position back to a central database for that IP Address and then all other devices on the same connection sharing the same public IP will essentially be located as well.

EDIT : And add that many smart phones have GPS and even more accurate positioning of the IP is possible.

Edited by ian72 (Tue 22-Apr-14 09:10:05)

Print Thread

Jump to