Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Aug-14 14:42:59
Print Post

Has anyone heard of "ReadNotify" ???

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,

Does anyone use, used or even heard of "ReadNotify" which comes from the website http://www.readnotify.com/

Basically the core program monitors all emails that you send and you can check when they were opened, read, forwarded, deleted, or even deleted without opening!. They reckon they can tell you if any links or files were opened as well, forwarded or just deleted. The paid version even includes certification good enough for acceptance in UK, US and Canadian courts etc.

It is supposed to work with normal PC Based email or webmail and is compatible with all main PC Based email programs?!

Apparently you can even get the email to refuse to print or be forwarded and if they do try, you can make it automatically be deleted from their PC !!!

It sounds very good, especially when emailing DVLA, DWP, HMG, Police etc.

Any ideas or suggestions as to whether this system would work or cause more problems than it is worth, please do tell, even if it is just a suspicion or guess by you. Any comments would be very welcome.

I have nothing to do with this company, and I am certainly not selling it or recommending it via a referral system or any kind !!

However, because I am having problems getting a variation put on a licence that I hold, (they keep claiming they don't receive my variation email requests in time) it was suggested to me by a friend, but I really don't want to use a program that is going to make our already "shaky" relationship worse, it is supposed to be invisible to everyone else bar you the sender.

Thank you in advance for taking the time out to look, if you do smile

Regards,
Trevor

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14085...
2 x TalkTalk upto 38mb FTTC lines, current speeds a good 37mbps on each one.(hiding behind an assortment of Asus RT-N66U Dual Band, DGND3700v2 Dual Band, DG834PN and DGN2000 routers) on: a Win7sp1 64 Ult. Desktop, Win8 x64 Pro (RTM) ) Desktop & Win 8 x64 Pro (RTM) Laptop. 5 x iPads, 1 x Archos 700, 3 x DELL C1760cn Wi-Fi Colour Laser Printers, Assorted Windows and iPhone Mobile phones, an 8ch CCTV system embedded into the Network along with an LG Smart TV, an LG Smart Blu-ray Player Recorder and an LG Smart Sound System.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Aug-14 15:12:20
Print Post

Re: Has anyone heard of "ReadNotify" ???

[re: TrevorSP] [link to this post]

From a quick google it looks like they do the notification by hiding an image in the email - when the email is opened it will open the image and as it is on the readnotify website they can tell from that when the email was opened.

However, that could be easily stopped by blocking images from being opened - that suggests that something else could also be happening.

I can't think of any way that they could bypass all the security that could be put on an email program. Stopping images and code execution should disable the abilities of readnotify. Also not sure how they would delete an email after delivery - this would normally require either hosting the email on their servers (which they don't seem to), sending the email encrypted with encryption key on a server (so you can delete the key, but again doesn't seem to be what they are doing) or employ digital rights management (and again this needs a server and encryption keys).

Personally I hate systems like this that don't explain how they work as they give potentially false sense of security/certainty and also can be a target for hackers/unethical use.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Aug-14 15:19:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Some info here

Looks like they are using some HTML techniques to do this - not particularly nice for the recipient and depends on whether email clients clear out HTML. It's also possible that edge security in gov networks may detect this sort of content (no idea if they do but seems the sort of thing that big security vendors may well be dealing with nowadays).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Aug-14 15:27:14
Print Post

MMm,

Thanks both, I had an idea that it may be whilst not illegal, they claim, it might be on the "edge" as it were.

I have no idea how they are doing this, even after reading so much about them, as the emails that I am having trouble with are on the essex.pnn.police.uk network, it might just be worth dragging the fax out and using that !!!!

I get a receipt from a fax, of course, that doesn't stop them popping said fax into "File 13" but at least I get a receipt !!!

Regards,
Trevor

2 x TalkTalk upto 38mb FTTC lines, current speeds a good 37mbps on each one.(hiding behind an assortment of Asus RT-N66U Dual Band, DGND3700v2 Dual Band, DG834PN and DGN2000 routers) on: a Win7sp1 64 Ult. Desktop, Win8 x64 Pro (RTM) ) Desktop & Win 8 x64 Pro (RTM) Laptop. 5 x iPads, 1 x Archos 700, 3 x DELL C1760cn Wi-Fi Colour Laser Printers, Assorted Windows and iPhone Mobile phones, an 8ch CCTV system embedded into the Network along with an LG Smart TV, an LG Smart Blu-ray Player Recorder and an LG Smart Sound System.

Edited by TrevorSP (Fri 22-Aug-14 15:29:29)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Aug-14 15:32:44
Print Post

Your fax receipt doesn't prove they have a legible copy... Read receipts actually prove very little in email or fax worlds. The only legal way I know of is to send recorded delivery or courier and get a wet signature.
Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Aug-14 16:01:26
Print Post

Ian,

I would love to say, yes, agreed. Because normally you are right.

However, on this occasion, email is definitely NORMALLY faster.

The first form you HAVE to send them MUST be by snail mail, whilst most forces turn this form around in 8 weeks tops, which is the standard service level agreement for all UK Forces.

The Average turnaround for this form across all UK forces (Except Essex) is 3 weeks.
Some forces manage 48 Hours.
One force even manages over the counter service, about half an hour!

Essex on the other hand is currently taking in Excess of 9 MONTHS for this essential 1st Main Form.

Any variations to this form, should be dealt with much quicker, after all it is just a simple alteration to the original form.
Same kind of story as above from other forces, But Essex, Currently around 6 months !!!!

The whole process is in chaos and no light at the end of the tunnel !!!!

After all, are you really going to complain !!!

Regards,
Trevor

Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Aug-14 16:04:47
Print Post

I don't think I will be using the service offered by "ReadNotify" I just don't like the way they do things having read the article you pointed me to!

Thanks for your advice,

Regards,
Trevor

Edited by TrevorSP (Fri 22-Aug-14 16:20:59)

Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Aug-14 16:23:04
Print Post

Re: Has anyone heard of "ReadNotify" ??? *DELETED*

Post deleted by TrevorSP
Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Aug-14 16:25:33
Print Post

Re: Has anyone heard of "ReadNotify" ??? *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by TrevorSP
Standard User path6336
(member) Mon 08-Sep-14 10:07:53
Print Post

Read Notifty web site is not loading for me at the moment, but, based on your description, It seems very similar to a system setup by Rpost (http://www.rpost.com/) which has been around for a number of years and does seem highly respected. I suspect that the RPost version is aimed more at a larger business though.
  Print Thread

Jump to