Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davidjfirman
(learned) Mon 08-Sep-14 20:26:47
Print Post

Secure public Wi-Fi

[link to this post]

I quite often use 'free' wi-fi in coffee shops, pubs etc and it has not escaped my attention that anyone with a port scanner etc could capture login details of any sites I visit.

I know that I could subscribe to a VPN but I quite fancy having a go at "rolling my own" as I have a spare PC at home, running ubuntu 14.04, which could make a nice VPN server. I also have an HP Proliant N54L running a version of the Synology DSM (Xpenology) which has VPN server capabilities.

However.... once I connect (securely) to my home LAN, I guess I would need some form of DNS running on the LAN so as to serve requests to the 'net and to then relay them, once received, back across the VPN to whichever device I am using (phone, iPad, laptop, netbook etc) in the coffee shop.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to achieve this. Although I used to do a lot of unix system administration, it has been over 20 years since I edited any config files in anger and what knowledge I did once have has faded in line with the receding of my hairline - hence something simple under ubuntu would be the preferred solution, but NOT using a commercial package such as log-me-in if at all possible.

Thanks, in advance, for your help......

plusnet FTTC ~ 37.71M / 16.66 @ 565m.
[Dialup with Prestel @1200/75; AOL @ 9600; Line One, ClaraNET & C&W @ 56k; then ADSL/ADSL2 from PlusNet, BT, PostOffice, O2 and Sky (not out of choice)]
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 08-Sep-14 22:50:38
Print Post

Re: Secure public Wi-Fi

[re: davidjfirman] [link to this post]

I think the VPN would use the same DNS on the server automagically

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 08-Sep-14 22:52:11)

Standard User davidjfirman
(learned) Mon 08-Sep-14 23:02:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Great link in your sig BatBoy

plusnet FTTC ~ 37.7M / 16.7 @ 565m.

[80% of the questons that start with "Why" can be answered with "Because people are stupid"]

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 08-Sep-14 23:15:38
Print Post

[re: davidjfirman] [link to this post]

Thanks.

I mean my router just seems to work. I can't imagine all the VPN software writers haven't solved that problem already.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Sep-14 23:16:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'll reply to you rather than the OP as this is a bit naughty but...

DirectAccess - who has time to click the connect button? tongue

AAISP Home::1
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 08-Sep-14 23:29:38
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I'm sure Ubuntu offers some me-too functionality. Funnily enough my router runs on Debian.

Print Thread

Jump to