Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Sat 20-Sep-14 09:21:15
Print Post

Laptop hangs during security checks

[link to this post]

Not sure this is the correct forum for my query, but here goes . . .

We have a desktop and a laptop, not networked. Both run under Win 8, and we use both Google Chrome and IE. For security we use McAfee and Malwarebytes. Desktop runs OK.

For a little while, however, laptop has had hiccups with both McAfee and Malwarebytes. As a good example, yesterday Malwarebytes said it had finished with no probs identified, but the screen froze.

Ran full McAfee scan overnight and it got to 99% checked (280,000 items) without finding or fixing any issues. Then it stopped. Doesn't matter how long I wait. Doughnut is still revolving. On this occasion the file shown as being checked was C\...\mstscax.dll . However the % checked has varied on other runs and the item being checked seems to differ. Can't run task monitor, or clear the screen (unless I do a nasty).

Other apps seem to operate OK and no probs with desktop..

Someone suggested a broken link/s somewhere. Is there an app to find and correct that/those? Or can you guys propose a different diagnosis please? Preferably in words of one syllable, because I'm not at all techie.

Thanks!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Sep-14 14:55:01
Print Post

Re: Laptop hangs during security checks

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Hmm. I'd try reinstalling both products. Have they worked together nicely before, do you have the realtime scanner enabled on them both? Maybe they are deadlocking.

AAISP Home::1
(member) Sat 20-Sep-14 17:19:07
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks!

Yes, I've had them both for quite some time and have them both running realtime - as far as I can tell without any issues.

It was due to an irritating rootkit prob many months ago that I installed paid-for malwarebytes and, being somewhat neurotic, I try to run full scans weekly on both apps.

Really not happy about having to force a shutdown to clear the m/c.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Sep-14 18:29:33
Print Post

It's almost never advisable to run two security software packages at once both in real-time. This often causes issues. Does closing malware bytes in the notification area resolve the issues?
(member) Sun 21-Sep-14 17:30:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi there UKH.

These probs don't crop up when running realtime. They only seem to occur when doing full scan - and inconsistently at that.

You'll be aware that malwarebytes has different aims (and operates differently) from all the bog-standard checkers like McAfee. I installed it initially to get rid of a rootkit that Kaspersky didn't want to know about or address. It's been running perfectly happily with McAfee since.

But I do accept that it's possible that, although I don't run the full scans at the same time, in certain unusual circumstances the pc might get its knickers in a twist . Perhaps my answer is not to be so paranoid, and just rely on to continual scanning in the background.
Standard User TrishaH
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Sep-14 00:32:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
Really not happy about having to force a shutdown to clear the m/c.

I've had the same thing happen three times in recent months with
Super AntiSpyWare. I've had the programme for some years now.
I use it to clear tracking cookies every week or two, and as an extra full scan check if I feel the need.
It doesn't run in real time.

I had a recent upgrade to the latest version of the programme, so I'm hoping whatever caused it was something in the SAS programme, and has been fixed with the upgrade.

I also have the free version of MWB, but only use it if I think there's a need, but haven't had any problems so far.

Print Thread

Jump to