Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Wed 11-Mar-15 19:32:41
Print Post

VPN Services

[link to this post]

Has anyone used or had experience of a using a VPN service? I was looking at a couple that seemed to have good reviews, Express VPN and IP Vanish VPN. Just hoping someone on here has had some hands on experience of these or any others they have used.
Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Sat 14-Mar-15 21:10:31
Print Post

Re: VPN Services

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

I did ask if anyone had used or has any advice on VPN services on the Security forum, but no one replied, so after a lot of research and head scratching opted to go to IP Vanish which seems to get top one or two reviews with the best speeds. Took advantage of a special offer which works out at £40 for the 1st year. IP Vanish is one of the few Tier 1 VPN Network meaning they own and operate their own network. 60+ countries with 165+ servers. No limits on any type of traffic and absolutely no logging, so they say. Very easy to setup and use after installing the Windows client software and also the IOS app. I'm using a Asus DSL-AC68 modem/router which is DD-WRT out of the box with OpenVPN Client support, with no need to install any custom firmware. All you need is to download the .opvn file for the server you want to connect and the Certificate of Authority file. Apart from entering your IP Vanish user name and password, all you need to do is to upload the .ovpn and ca files. That's it. This way all devices are covered, including any that client software cannot be installed on, ie XBox, Apple TV, FIre TV etc. Using the Client software you are limited to two simultaneous connection, one OPVN and one using L2TP or PPTP protocols. There seems to be little effect on speeds connecting to London servers using a client, but more of a hit using the VPN client on the router. I'm on BT Infinity 2 and am losing around 20-25% (13-16Mbps) which is not a big deal. Not something you would want on ADSL though.
Connected to Vancouver as a test and was getting approx 18/8mbps. So far so good. Will see how it progresses.

Edited by rogerfp (Sat 14-Mar-15 21:30:30)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Mar-15 04:48:50
Print Post

Re: VPN Services

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Some good recommendations here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/paid-vpn-serv...

If you're looking to hide your online identity (for legitimate reasons) then i'd highly recommend airvpn or VPN AC. If you're looking just to bypass content geographical restrictions then no need for a full blown vpn service just subscribe to Overplay's Smart DNS Service without any loss of speed.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps