Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Wed 01-Apr-15 15:59:48
Print Post

dotomi

[link to this post]

I have just run a full scan with Kaspersky KIS, plus Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit. However they haven't stopped
cj.dotomi.com
popping up, with a load of rubbish on the address line, and preventing access to at least one website. This has only occurred in the past few days.
What is it, and how can I get rid, please?
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Wed 01-Apr-15 19:40:04
Print Post

Re: dotomi

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Just do a Google search for cj.dotomi.com virus. There is loads of information on how to manually remove it. Of course it all depends on how technical you are. It sounds like a nasty piece of work and if the fixes don't help then it'll be a backup and rebuild.
Standard User Jax2
(regular) Wed 01-Apr-15 20:30:10
Print Post

Worth having a go with HitmanPro which gives you one free virus removal. Worked for me when I had a different piece of malware that gave a similar problem and which neither my normal antivirus or Malwarebytes would see.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 01-Apr-15 22:09:12
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Thanks, guys. Have looked at google which, as you wrote, gives reference to numerous wonder products - some of which raise further concerns. So far no joy. Will try hitman.

Apparently this is a browser redirector for ad purposes, but may well have other more sinister possibilities.
(member) Thu 02-Apr-15 08:58:47
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Pc also running slow, so this may be grabbing bandwidth?

Have now used hitmanpro, adwcleaner and tdsskiller, without any effect.

Hoping for a good response from malwarebytes themselves.
Standard User Jax2
(regular) Thu 02-Apr-15 09:16:43
Print Post

Will be interesting to hear what Malwarebytes have to say. Have you asked for advice from Kaspersky, perhaps on their forums?
Nasty bit of work indeed, unfortunately you may have to do a rebuild of the OS if all else fails.
Standard User azrael316
(newbie) Thu 02-Apr-15 09:46:59
Print Post

They always have another agenda in my expirience, wether thats bitcoin mining or using your PC in DDOS attacks. There is almost always something else going on.

A good place to go is the HijackThis forums, its can get VERY complicated though.
(member) Mon 06-Apr-15 10:08:37
Print Post

Thanks!
Malwarebytes guru has requested running various diagnostics (e.g. Zoek) but so far no solution. Still don't know if this is merely (!) an ad annoyance or whether it is trying to do something more sinister. Therefore, although the pc seems to be running OK otherwise (albeit slowly at present) I am only powering up for diagnostics.
(member) Mon 06-Apr-15 10:13:50
Print Post

Sorry, Jax. Intended to write that I haven't referred to Kaspersky themselves, having found them v lethargic about answering in the past. However the Kasp forum must be worth a go.
Standard User Jax2
(regular) Mon 06-Apr-15 10:15:27
Print Post

Was talking to a friend at the weekend who runs a small computer business (not about your particular problem) and he mentioned a programme called ComboFix being very good at removing nasties so you could try that one. I downloaded it but have not run it as I have no need at present.
  Print Thread

Jump to