Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Mon 03-Aug-15 09:29:27
Print Post

But is it genuine?

[link to this post]

I keep receiving a screen message saying that there is a new version of 'Start menu reviver'. Nevererdofit! No indication of the source of the message.

So please is it from MS, or perhaps a nasty?
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 03-Aug-15 11:51:33
Print Post

Re: But is it genuine?

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Start Menu Reviver is not a Microsoft product, so it's either spam or the download will contain contain malware.

It's not the age... it's the mileage.
(member) Mon 03-Aug-15 12:07:41
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Many thanks, Mick. I'm a bit neurotic at present (even more so than usual) because of recent incidents.

A few of the emails I've sent by gmail have triggered a response saying it has been rejected by outlook, and suggesting I click on the link, hoho. Now I do use outlook as well, but the particular emails weren't sent to an outlook e-address, and seem to have gone through anyway.

I happen to have just sent one from outlook, and got a rejection response from hotmail. It wasn't sent to a hotmail address!

I use Kaspersky and regularly run one of those bolt-on goodies which is supposed to trap such stuff by sitting on top of your antivirus. Nothing has been picked up.

I'm sure you appreciate my neurosis.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JHo1
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-15 12:14:26
Print Post

You mean it just pops up, out of the blue? Agh! I'd suggest running Malwarebytes as a first step.

John
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 03-Aug-15 12:31:09
Print Post

Never download software from sites such as CNet. Never. Always download from official sites. These download sites often inject adware into installation utilities, and possibly worse.

It's not the age... it's the mileage.
(member) Tue 04-Aug-15 08:54:36
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

JH, thanks for the thought. I've actually used the paid for version of Malwarebytes anti-malware for some time. Similarly tried their anti-rootkit beta and trials of a few other products. Nothing turned up.

Edited by spranglebolt (Tue 04-Aug-15 08:55:39)

(member) Tue 04-Aug-15 09:05:25
Print Post

Mick - one of the products I tried, and referred to above, was called Spyhunter. Certainly the only things it's ever (allegedly) found have been a whole slew of adware, as mentioned by you. And I now see that Spyhunter itself is regarded with suspicion. Ho hum.
Standard User 961a
(regular) Tue 04-Aug-15 10:50:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
I keep receiving a screen message saying that there is a new version of 'Start menu reviver'. Nevererdofit! No indication of the source of the message.

So please is it from MS, or perhaps a nasty?

It's not from Microsoft but from a software company called ReviverSoft

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/features/windows/start-...

As you see it's basically designed for Windows 8 to restore the Start button

It's not clear to me if this nag screen that pops up actually means you have this programme installed or merely have picked up some adware to get you to install it

Instructions on uninstalling are given here

http://www.reviversoft.com/support/start-menu-revive...

If Malwarebytes doesn't regard it as malware you are probably ok and I don't think your e-mail problems have anything to do with this

Have you tried safe mode scans with Malwarebytes and Kaspersky?
(member) Tue 04-Aug-15 13:10:28
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Cheers!

I do have win 8.1 currently.

Will certainly try the link you have suggested.

Although I've scanned frequently with both of those I haven't actually done so in safe mode.
  Print Thread

Jump to