Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Sun 09-Aug-15 17:57:24
Print Post

LastPass, anyone?

[link to this post]

So I've installed the freebie version of LastPass to keep tabs on my ridiculous number of passwords and, as we're advised, to generate and hide random ones to replace variations on the predictable.

I like what I'm seeing so far, but have a query which I hope an established user can address. Haven't yet found a way of making a security copy of the file, in case it goes belly-up. Don't even know the name/location of the file so perhaps I could chase it off into Dropbox.

Any thoughts, please, anyone?
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 09-Aug-15 18:17:10
Print Post

Re: LastPass, anyone?

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Use the Export facility

It's not the age... it's the mileage.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Sun 09-Aug-15 18:41:26
Print Post

I am pretty sure I am right in saying that all your passwords are kept in the cloud not locally on your computer so if you put Lastpass on any computer and sign into your account with your user-name and master password all your passwords are available.
This is nice if your computer dies or if you want to use a different computer as everything is immediately to hand. I have visited my son hundreds of miles from where I live and temporarily put Lastpass on his computer so all my passwords were available which was great.
The downside is of course that your passwords are only as safe as Lastpass, their servers and their own security. They are of course a hacking target and have been hacked to a certain degree already. Oh and at the moment you cannot use Lastpass from within Windows 10's new browser Edge as it does not support extensions if that bothers you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 09-Aug-15 20:04:13
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

I have switched to KeePass. It's a little bit clunky but inherently more secure. There is a Firefox plug-in for it but I don't see the point. Who knows what it does without you knowing?

(member) Sun 09-Aug-15 21:45:11
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Many thanks, both. Hadn't woken up to the fact of LastPass stuff being stored in hyperspace.

Glad I haven't paid for it. This could be another reason for me not to gallop into Win 10, as I have posted elsewhere!

I used Keepass some time ago, and recall that there was no prob in making a copy on to a USB stick or DropBox.. But I only used Keepass as a password file, not for allocation of random ones, and I didn't then attempt to use to log in directly to a website.

Cheers!
(member) Sun 09-Aug-15 22:03:21
Print Post

Mick Thanks, but it appears to export as a not very friendly text file, without the option.

Hmmm. Anything known about Dashlane?
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 09-Aug-15 22:12:06
Print Post

Your master password (pass phrase) is used to encrypt (and decrypt) your passwords locally (on whatever machine you are using). Only a hash of you master password is stored on the servers. It should be secure but I decided that I wanted to keep everything local.

Standard User JHo1
(regular) Mon 10-Aug-15 08:45:13
Print Post

I've used RoboForm for many years and I'm very happy with it. You can choose a version that stores info on your pc or in "the cloud", your choice.

If you want a free one then I think Intel's Passwordbox is free but it's another "stored in the cloud" one.

Incidentally RoboForm does not work with Edge but I believe that it is being worked on.

Regards,
John
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 10-Aug-15 11:05:07
Print Post

I use TrueCrypt to encrypt my password file when I am taking it outside my house. I keep the file on removable storage. EDS Lite on Android can decrypt the file. Even then I use clues for bank related passwords.

Michael Chare
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Aug-15 13:18:07
Print Post

I just write all my down on a piece of paper and keep it in my cupboard. Safe enough unless i get burgled. But going on recent events safer than relying on a company to keep their data secure
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to