Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-15 18:10:24
Print Post

mysterous issue

[link to this post]

Hi, my son just bought a brand new laptop with windows 10 whilst staying at our house. He connected his laptop to our wifi connection. He took his laptop to his flat which is about 15 miles away, to his surprise his machine connected to his wifi without entering his password!! It is disconcerting to think that this is possible. He has Microsoft and Google accounts, but we never thought that either of them will store his wifi name and password. Any ideas for possible explanation.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 17-Aug-15 18:42:06
Print Post

Re: mysterous issue

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

Same SSID and password?

... or a friend's computer with Windows 10 has logged into the router at the flat and the password has been automatically shared with your son's computer? Doesn't need to be Windows 10, apparently.

Obviously, Microsoft have to store the passwords on their servers and I would imagine that the NSA will have a copy. Location data, SSID and bang, they're in. Enable remote management on the router, install hacked firmware and they can watch everything that happens via that router.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 17-Aug-15 19:09:17)

Standard User samulam
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-15 21:20:54
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I don't follow what happened. My son spent all week/end using his brand new laptop connected to my wifi. Then on Monday morning he went home and connected to his wifi and to his surprise his laptop connected automatically without entering his password !! It is sinister !!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 17-Aug-15 21:29:30
Print Post

What computers has he used at his flat, and what version of windows is used?

You're right. It is sinister... and very convenient for the security services. Routers are very weakly protected devices and yet every wi-fi enabled device in a house uses them. Compromise the router and you compromise everything.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 17-Aug-15 21:34:49)

Standard User radar
(learned) Mon 17-Aug-15 22:25:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by samulam:
Hi, my son just bought a brand new laptop with windows 10 whilst staying at our house. He connected his laptop to our wifi connection. He took his laptop to his flat which is about 15 miles away, to his surprise his machine connected to his wifi without entering his password!! It is disconcerting to think that this is possible. He has Microsoft and Google accounts, but we never thought that either of them will store his wifi name and password. Any ideas for possible explanation.

Have you got another laptop in the house running windows 10 that you have used at your sons house ? there is a feature on windows 10 that shares the passwords with other win 10 machines on same network.

Read here :-

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/07/01/windows-...

Dave

ZeN
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Aug-15 19:06:51
Print Post

it could be that the other place has public wifi enabled and hence there is a default set for windows to use public wifi.

The only way to verify is to check what wifi the laptop was connected to in the other house.

IanD
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-15 23:47:40
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Such as if both locations have BT broadband with BTOpenzone enabled.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User samulam
(committed) Wed 19-Aug-15 20:18:44
Print Post

[re: radar] [link to this post]

Hi you are right. My son did have an old laptop which he upgraded to Win 10 for few days which he discarded due to hard disk failure, so he bought a new laptop and this new laptop was connected to his wifi without forwarding his password!!
Many thanks for your response.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Thu 20-Aug-15 10:39:28
Print Post

Not meant to hijack this post, but can you disable this weird Windows 10's wireless connection feature so that it will be just like a plain old Windows 7 wireless authendication feature by using SSID and Password only???

Thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 20-Aug-15 10:41:27
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

If you must
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to