Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Aug-15 08:12:25
Print Post

Microsoft Security Essentials

[link to this post]

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/01/27/security-...

Anyone use this or whatever they call itl on Windows 10 now? Seems it always performs poorly in tests but its one of the least intrusive AV programs out there which i like. Ontop of that most other AV programs have had dodgy virus definition updates that have broke some systems. So is it still worth using MSE?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 24-Aug-15 08:20:53
Print Post

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Windows defender is built into Win 10 and runs automatically. If you install another AV then Windows defender will be disabled until the other AV is uninstalled.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Aug-15 09:39:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Im still on Win 7. Assume Defender is just MSE is all but name?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:13:51
Print Post

Unless Microsoft have changed it, Windows Defender only scans for spy-ware. MSE also scans for viruses and can be downloaded here. I use MSE in preference to third-party products and also do manual scans with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

MSE also creates an icon in the notification area. With Windows Defender, you have to go through the Control Panel or create a shortcut. frown

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 24-Aug-15 10:16:03)

Standard User 961a
(regular) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:21:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/01/27/security-...

Anyone use this or whatever they call itl on Windows 10 now? Seems it always performs poorly in tests but its one of the least intrusive AV programs out there which i like. Ontop of that most other AV programs have had dodgy virus definition updates that have broke some systems. So is it still worth using MSE?

"Most programs have had some dodgy..updates that have broke some systems"

Can't quite see that is a fair statement, perhaps you'd like to explain

As for Microsoft Security Essentials I seem to remember Microsoft adding it to the Windows system as an attempt to protect those who did not appreciate the need for security but for anyone to run internet access these days without top notch security installed is foolhardy to say the least. Add to that the sort of things we do on our computers/tablets/phones, such as accessing our bank accounts and credit cards, and the fact that many think nothing of doing this on wi-fi hotspots with a single password such as "password" for all the stuff on their systems and it really surprises me that more dosh and identity theft doesn't happen

Security is vital when you consider the mess that is caused when it all goes wrong.Several banks offer their customers top grade security software free of charge which must tell you something. Some free security programmes are a basic must if you really can't or won't pay. Any security suite is going to slow the system, some more than others. You know what? Get over it

It really is very important. Ask anyone of the many that thought it wasn't, didn't bother, and found out the hard way

That review incidentally tells you which ones are best. It's worth reading in detail and then doing something about it
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:37:34
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

AVG had a virus definition update that caused it to recognise a boot file as a virus. Think it was Panda AV that had an update that caused it to think itself was a virus and cause problems on systems. Kaspersky have had a definition update that caused it to block all internet activity. Those are the ones i can remember in recent years

Although an AV is important, good security practice is maybe more so. No AV program is 100%, so if users are going on dodgy websites, clicking on dodgy looking emails and not keeping their system secure with Windows updates, then the AV program can only do so much

I run MSE but do weekly scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 24-Aug-15 10:42:18)

Standard User ffox
(committed) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:51:58
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Unless Microsoft have changed it, Windows Defender only scans for spy-ware.

They have changed it. Here's a quote from http://www.howtogeek.com/220232/

If you’ve used Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 or previous versions of Windows, this is the same basic product. It was renamed to “Windows Defender” in Windows 8 and integrated into Windows itself.

It's worth reading all of the article.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Technicolor TG582n , St Ives Cambs (EMSTIVE)
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:53:08
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

I have had false positives thrown up by third-party AV tools, Kaspersky being one of them. I find these sort of errors particularly irksome, especially if they come from products that are supposed to be "best in class". I would rather let a few items slip through the net and pick them up with manual scans using a less "picky" third-party product. Those items that I have detected in this way have almost always been ad-ware. It probably helps that I don't visit dodgy sites and always download software from the official sites, rather than sites such as CNET.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 24-Aug-15 10:54:41)

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:54:02
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Aug-15 11:01:52
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

Assume it will use the same virus/malware definitions as MSE too?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to