Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-15 09:45:41
Print Post

Alternative to AVG?

[link to this post]

With the news that from October AVG will be selling on user information to third parties what (free) alternatives are there? Just had a look at Avira but a quick scan of their T&C seems to show they are just as bad for this and I suspect all the rest are too?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User Spuriousfish
(learned) Tue 22-Sep-15 12:21:03
Print Post

Re: Alternative to AVG?

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I guess this is the way the worlds going although if your using a PC then I don't think this change in policy is that much of a deal. If you use a PC browser like Firefox you can have add-ons that block Ads and Tracking and also set it to clear cookies on closure. It looks like AVG only collect info when you visit there web site or use the Web Shield. Or if you've created an account.

If your using a Tablet or smartphone then they can collect more information but you have to ask yourself is this any different from the hundreds of other apps that you may have running as well.

I personally dislike this sort of thing but its getting harder to minimise your web foot print. You could try MSE coupled with Malwarebytes Free for a PC.. Ghostery add on for Firefox is also very good in blocking who's looking at your info.
Standard User Mikey2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-15 12:47:42
Print Post

Probably not a lot you can do and as the old saying goes "'if you're not paying for the product, you are the product'. You could always set up a free email account and only use it for email confirmations of products loaded and ignore it the rest of the time.

Mike
If you have to swallow a frog, try not to think about it. If you have to swallow two frogs, don't swallow the smaller one first.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 961a
(member) Tue 22-Sep-15 12:51:27
Print Post

Avast free
Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-15 13:00:39
Print Post

I would also recommend Avast free, been using it for years on several computers and it works great. I used to use AVG back when Windows XP was all the rage. But I switched years ago, I found that AVG was hogging resources, massively slowing down any computer I used it on and giving tons of false positives.

With PlusNet on 20CN ADSL Max, I live in hope...

Fibre in Cumbria Exchange & Cab Map
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Sep-15 13:44:17
Print Post

I've used (a couple of years ago with XP) Comodo free Internet Security without any probs, always use the custom /selective install to avoid things you might not want e.g. Dragon web-browser, which is chromium based.

plusnet user
Standard User diputs36
(learned) Sat 26-Sep-15 18:11:17
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

May be I'm stupid or blind, perhaps both, but reading through it seems that identifiable data is used for AVG purposes alone. It will be non identifiable or anonmynised data that will be used for other purposes.

If I'm right, I can't see much to fear, especially from a company that purports to look after my internet security, If I'm off the ball, I should like to know, which clauses in the new version are of concern to you all.

TBH I would be more worried about entering a newspaper competition, where quite frequently, according to a BBC series, actual real personal data is sold on to some of the dodgier outfits.
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Sat 26-Sep-15 20:40:08
Print Post

[re: diputs36] [link to this post]

If AVG are trying to monetise from the data, then it's not going to be of any value to a third-party if it's completely anonymised, which would maybe suggest they won't be trying very hard to clean it.

Avast is one of the more popular choices for free AV. Personally I normally recommend Kaspersky to Windows users (free if you have a Barclays account, and picked up fairly cheaply on eBay).

Pipex > Zen > Be > iDNet > Freeola > Zen > BT Infinity 1
Standard User diputs36
(learned) Sat 26-Sep-15 21:23:44
Print Post

[re: rich_jtg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rich_jtg:
If AVG are trying to monetise from the data, then it's not going to be of any value to a third-party if it's completely anonymised, which would maybe suggest they won't be trying very hard to clean it.

Avast is one of the more popular choices for free AV. Personally I normally recommend Kaspersky to Windows users (free if you have a Barclays account, and picked up fairly cheaply on eBay).
As to Avast, about a year back it ******** my son's computer, but I don't recall the details. Ergo, I'm not particularly thinking Avast!
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Sun 27-Sep-15 09:48:37
Print Post

[re: diputs36] [link to this post]

If the OP wants to stay on the 'free' route, there's also Bitdefender's free edition, though I think you have to create an account (provide an email address) to use it long term.

Pipex > Zen > Be > iDNet > Freeola > Zen > BT Infinity 1
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to