Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User amidabrian
(newbie) Wed 17-Feb-16 08:16:43
Print Post

Open DNS Resolver (ODNSR) vulnerability.

[link to this post]

I have just had an email from Virgin Media that I potentially have a Open DNS Resolver (ODNSR) vulnerability. The last time this happened I signed up to their GadgetRescue which cost £35. All they did was run ClamxAV on my Mac. I have run the test from this website and I don't have an issue. First what is Open DNS Resolver and how can I be sure that I have fixed this? As I don't want to fork out a further £35 to get it fixed again.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:08:36
Print Post

Re: Open DNS Resolver (ODNSR) vulnerability.

[re: amidabrian] [link to this post]

So they claim you have a security vulnerability and pay us to fix it for you? Even if its a legit email sounds dodgy
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:27:58
Print Post

It's possible that some routers allow unrestricted DNS queries from the internet. This is unlikely in your case if Virgin supplied the router.

If the test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/dnscheck.html gave you a clean bill of health, it certainly sounds like a scam email.

You can double check that you aren't running an open DNS resolver on another site such as http://openresolverproject.org/

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 17-Feb-16 13:11:21
Print Post

Whatever you do there is no need to pay for help in situations like this.

There are plenty of folk here and on the many other forums that can assist for free.
(Bleeping Computer has a MAC section, there are many other good sites.)

This "Gadget Rescue" is from Virgin but a quick Google brings up interesting results.

I don't and won't ever use Virgin, and yes I am cynical ))

However family experience makes me see their "efforts" to secure peoples systems as nothing more than fund raising at best.

My sister had Virgin Broadband and phone for several years , the service was very unreliable and support was at best dire. The phone was often dead, and the BB was flakey to say the least.

She received emails and letters about security issues and malicious access to her email addresses, this happened several times, the problem was that she had never set up any email accounts with Virgin as she had Hotmail and GMail accounts, so how does a non existent account get used?

Second, over 4 years she received letters form Virgin, each containing a CD with an antivirus suite, a 15 day trial , along with a letter telling her that her PC was infected and customers had complained about being passed virus/malware from her system.

Virgin insisted she should use this CD to clean her PC. On the 3rd occassion she actually phoned Virgin to ask exactly what was "infected". They gave details of the "infection" where it was located in the system and how to remove it from the Windows OS.

Cynical? Yes , my sister has never had a Windows OS, she has always run MAC .

UNO FTTC : Synch : 80/20 : Grade A : Download 75.31.Mb/s : Upload 18.71 Mb/s : ping 9 ms

Edited by AdrianPH (Wed 17-Feb-16 13:13:14)

Standard User Jax2
(member) Wed 17-Feb-16 14:26:23
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

Sounds like they behave exactly like those oh so "helpful" people who ring up purporting to work for Microsoft and saying you have a computer infection which they are happy to fix for a fee. Disgusting.
Standard User 1Justin
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-16 21:43:18
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

..Bump
Thank you for this useful link. I too have just received the very same letter from Virgin and link to this site which says the same:
virgin open DNS link

Interestingly, the date which Virgin provide in my letter does correspond to the date I recently re-configured my superhub as a modem about 2 weeks ago, and fitted a separate router (Aukey WF-R8).
The first link posted thinkbroadband tells me it did not find an open DNS, the second link openresolverproject tells me I am visiting from an "open resolver."

I'm running windows 10 via Superhub (as modem only) and Aukey WF-R8 router. Where does this leave me?
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Thu 02-Jun-16 22:12:21
Print Post

[re: 1Justin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 1Justin:
I'm running windows 10 via Superhub (as modem only) and Aukey WF-R8 router. Where does this leave me?

If you are running an open resolver you are a significant network risk to the internet as a whole. Virgin will likely either restrict your connection or cut you off completely if you don't resolve it.

If you suspect it's your router, then either configure it correctly, look for a fix from the manufacturer, or go back to using the SH as a router.
Standard User 1Justin
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-16 22:28:57
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Hi Nemeth.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I just removed the Aukey WF-R8 and ran the same test again at openresolverproject It now seems to be clear of the warning.

So Virgin were on to something. Looking at the manufacturers website for the router (which is basically sold as a wi-fi extender but I was using it in it's router configuration), I find no software updates.
I can't (obviously) find any set-up in the router config, but that could be down t my naivety since I'm no network geek, - just responding to the letter Virgn sent me.

Should I be contacting Aukey about this one or is there typically expected to be a set-up for most routers which is able to fix this?

Regards,
Standard User ironman12345
(newbie) Fri 03-Jun-16 00:20:49
Print Post

[re: 1Justin] [link to this post]

YES! you Should be contacting Aukey about this one as when you stopped using the router the "openresolver" was reported as clear.
  Print Thread

Jump to