Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User god4aday
(newbie) Tue 03-May-16 12:07:51
Print Post

Telephone Scam via broadband connection

[link to this post]

Hi All,
Hope someone here can help me and shed some light on my issue.

I have fibre broadband set up with Zen ISP and a phone line set up by them.

I have a bungalow being renovated so there is no physical phone in the property and all I have connected to the router provided by Zen is a Swann SRDVR-81525H cctv system that allows me to watch live feed of the cctv cameras.
All was working fine until I had an email from Zen stating my phone bill has exceeded £50 in the space of a few days. As I have not used the phone I was shocked and investigated my itemised bill.

The bill showed a local number 01384857003 (Dudley) had been called every 5 mins exactly for 7 secs exactly for the period of 3 continuous days without fail. The call list is shown below:

7/4/2016 03.15am (single call to 0138485700 for 7 secs)
7/4/2016 13.01 pm (single call to 0138485700 for 7 secs)
7/4/2016 15.36 pm (single call to 0138485700 for 7 secs)
29/4/2016 (numerous calls every 5 mins for 7 secs)
30/04/2016 (numerous calls every 5 mins for 7 secs)
1/05/2016 (numerous calls every 5 mins for 7 secs)

After speaking to Zen I did a line check to see if my telephone line had been crossed with someone else but that was negative.

I then disconnected the DVR and I have had no charges to my telephone account.

I am aware that Swann DVR can be hacked easily (via google) but how is someone hacking this system and charging me money and making them money?

Is there anyway I can pinpoint the address the telephone is registered too?

Thanks for any help in advance

John
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 13:10:02
Print Post

Re: Telephone Scam via broadband connection

[re: god4aday] [link to this post]

The old Sky boxes used to call back to home once a month to update accounts. There was a point where there was a bug and instead of calling home they were calling the talking clock - and because it didn't get the right response they kept on retrying running up high bills.

Wondering if your DVR is trying to do something similar?

What is the purpose of the DVR being connected to the phone line? I assume it is actually connected to the phone line itself rather than via the router (if via the router then it has no way of making a call anyway).
Standard User god4aday
(newbie) Tue 03-May-16 13:30:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi Ian72,

The DVR is not connected to the phone line. It is connected to the router via a cat 5 cable to allow for live video to be streamed over the net to a smartphone app. The router is then connected via a filter to the master telephone socket. The DVR can record to its own HDD but to allow remote viewing it must be connected to a router.

Thanks
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 13:41:04
Print Post

In which case I don't know why unplugging the DVR would stop the phone calls as a DVR cannot make calls via an Ethernet connection on a router. There is no route for the DVR to be able to cause it to dial. And the router, if connected via the DSL interface also cannot make calls as there is nothing in there to dial a number.

Personally I think there is something else that has caused this. I would normally suspect something like a house alarm system or possibly crossed billing (it doesn't necessarily need a line to be crossed for charges to be incurred on the wrong bill).
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Tue 03-May-16 13:44:53
Print Post

You are not alone, this is obviously a scam.

Place that number into Google search and you will see that people have had the same issue since 2011.

http://www.phonespamfilter.co.uk/search.php/01384857003

http://callernotes.org/phonenumber/01384857003

there are other comments on phone number check sites.

Trading standards / police may be a good place to start.
Standard User god4aday
(newbie) Tue 03-May-16 14:02:04
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

Hi AdrianPH,

Yes I noticed a few others have been charged for unwanted or unmade calls.
I would just like to understand how they are doing it.

I have deduced it must be the DVR as I am no longer being charged since I unplugged the network cable. Literally the minute I unplugged, I have not been charged since. Zen ISP tech support did mention DNOS (Denial Of Service Attack) but not too clued up on how that would work in my situation.

Regards
john
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Tue 03-May-16 15:07:26
Print Post

The DVR is not technically or physically capable of making calls via the Ethernet connection. This must be coincidence.

It can only be that someone has plugged a phone in and dialled this number, or your line is crossed, etc I guess. Perhaps there is an extension elsewhere you are not aware of.
Standard User god4aday
(newbie) Tue 03-May-16 15:17:17
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Hi Nemeth782,
The number has been rang every 5 mins exactly for 7 seconds exactly add day and night over a period of 3 days continuously so I can rule out someone making a call. It will be an automated hack but I am unsure how it is being done.
Zen ISP have done a line check and confirmed the line is not crossed.

Regards
john
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 16:24:33
Print Post

As I and others have said if the DVR is only connected via Ethernet then it cannot dial the phone. There is something more to the case than that but without doing investigation it would be difficult to pin point as likelihood is that whatever is causing it is something you don't know about - and if you don't know then it is going to be difficult for us to get enough info to diagnose.

Personally I would plug the DVR back in and see if it starts doing any calls again. But, if you plug in via Ethernet and the only thing connected to your line is the router via its DSL port then there just is no way it should be able to connect a call.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Tue 03-May-16 19:00:26
Print Post

John

The line being called is some sort of remote 'modem' ( Try dialling it!) which is trying to set up a data call to whatever is dialling it.

Somewhere on the property you will have a sensor that is trying to 'call home'.

I have seen similar instances where a remote water sensor has had a short and kept dialling every 10sec, it would drop out then try again.

The offending device could be a smart meter, water sensor, Septic tank, an alarm, even a health alarm.

Zen should be able to credit you as the calls are obvoiusly invalid.

There is NO direct way to make money from getting people to call a geographic number. (But there are a couple of indirect ways to fiddle an employer if you are a remote call handlers who wants to take a lot of calls without doing anything! 99.9% sure this is not a case.)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to