Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Tue 07-Jun-16 09:46:27
Print Post

Kaspersky prob, anyone?

[link to this post]

Ancestry.co.uk, a reputable genealogy website we have used for years (and I mean years) has recently caused KIS 2016 to flag up a domain certificate authenticity warning - twice. The offending (?) URL is actually fel.ancestry.co.uk. Ancestry themselves know nothing of this but have undertaken to investigate for me. This also happened once before recently on a totally separate website, which I then put down as merely a false positive. Full scan just done on KIS, plus Malwarebytes anti-malware and anti-rootkit come back clear. Ancestry is encrypted.

But posting a query on Kaspersky's own forum seems to reveal some real confusion regarding update version numbers - somehow connected with Win 10? However this error pops up on our laptop, still on Win 8.1, flagged under Chrome. So far I haven't seen it on our Win 10 desktop.

We are meticulous about updating on both, and on running full scans. We have a 2yr, 3 PC KIS licence with yonks to run. Version # is 16.0.0.614(g). KIS forum suggests moving to 16.01.445, but this isn't listed as available, so it would be a roundabout route to it which, as your actual incompetent, I'm not comfortable with.

What on earth is going on here please?
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jun-16 16:34:42
Print Post

Re: Kaspersky prob, anyone?

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Put fel.ancestry.co.uk in here:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

... there is a cert mismatch - hit 'continue anyway', and you will see the full problem.

Looks like they have their certs in a mess.

Edited by Lethe (Tue 07-Jun-16 16:35:23)

(member) Wed 08-Jun-16 09:49:15
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply. It appears that an upgrade to 16.0.1.445 would resolve the issue. Strange that, although I had a seamless upgrade from KIS 2015 to 2016, I have not been automatically upgraded to (or offered) 16.0.1.445. It shouldn't be necessary for me to use a techy way to achieve it.

Although there is a Kaspersky forum, I have not yet found a way of getting through to a real live support person to pursue this question.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jun-16 11:57:32
Print Post

Contact Information

Monday to Friday, 8:00 - 17:30

0203 549 3495 from the UK mainland only (for consumer products only)
0818 333 516 from Ireland (for consumer products only)

For queries about your sales order or license please select Option 1. For technical support please select Option 2.

When calling from a landline, calls are charged at your National rate. Charges will vary when calling from a mobile, depending on your mobile network.

Forgot to paste this link: http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/contact-us

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Wed 08-Jun-16 12:00:10)

Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Wed 08-Jun-16 13:23:01
Print Post

I like Kaspersky but it is full of quirks, not least the update system. Sometimes it updates automatically, most times it doesn't. The forum is very helpful but the official support line is useless, taking up to a week to answer.

Interesting that you have been advised to upgrade to 16.0.1.445, I'm still on 16.0.0.614, so I went to the KIS download site which states the latest version is:
Version 2016 (16.0.0.614abcd)
(member) Wed 08-Jun-16 18:23:40
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Thanks!

Despite advice given to me and others on Kaspersky's own forum, it's now quite obvious from threads thereon that they have got their drawers in disarray regarding these two versions.
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jun-16 18:46:34
Print Post

I usually refer to such a situation as TKS*

* Twisted knicker syndrome

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
(member) Sun 12-Jun-16 16:53:26
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

As MalwareMike wrote, whatever the merits of KIS as a product, (and I have long been a protagonist) I am deeply disappointed with Kaspersky's Customer Support.

Referred this problem to them way over a week ago and had no response other than acknowledgement of receipt. Must surely be a KIS wrinkle but even if not related to this version number caper I would have expected some sort of meaningful communication. Had to post the query again and so far only had a bog-standard request for screen print. Never had anything like this previously.

Edited by spranglebolt (Sun 12-Jun-16 17:56:26)

Print Thread

Jump to