Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jun-16 19:12:11
Print Post

Re: Have I been Hacked?

[re: 10forcash] [link to this post]

No, no modern spyware and malware installation will survive a reformat.

Reformatting and reinstalling Windows is the best course of action, and the only way to ensure whatever it is (which seems dodgy either way) is removed. Peace of mind then and no uncertainity.

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User 10forcash
(learned) Tue 21-Jun-16 21:27:44
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Really? I suggest you might want to actually verify that opinion...
Try researching MBR malware, drive firmware virii, BIOS malware, of course good old rootkits (thanks Sony!) oh, and the hackers friend, USB drives - some of which can emulate keyboards and run scripts directly. At the leading edge of industrial espionage, it has been shown that it's possible for malware to infect air-gapped systems by using magnetic resonation, very difficult to do, and very specifically targetted but possible all the same, especially if the costs and resources are state sponsored. By way of an example, I've personally seen data recovered from a hard drive that's been subjected to a 'government wipe'. Yes, it took a while, was expensive to do but is the reason why HMG and it's disposal contractors no longer recycle HDD's. Banks never have.
So if you suspect of confirm malware is resident on your system, take the opportunity to upgrade your hard drive, just find out where it came from first so you don't make the same mistake again.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jun-16 21:34:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by 10forcash:
In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Really? I suggest you might want to actually verify that opinion...
Try researching MBR malware, drive firmware virii, BIOS malware, of course good old rootkits (thanks Sony!) oh, and the hackers friend, USB drives - some of which can emulate keyboards and run scripts directly. At the leading edge of industrial espionage, it has been shown that it's possible for malware to infect air-gapped systems by using magnetic resonation, very difficult to do, and very specifically targetted but possible all the same, especially if the costs and resources are state sponsored. By way of an example, I've personally seen data recovered from a hard drive that's been subjected to a 'government wipe'. Yes, it took a while, was expensive to do but is the reason why HMG and it's disposal contractors no longer recycle HDD's. Banks never have.
So if you suspect of confirm malware is resident on your system, take the opportunity to upgrade your hard drive, just find out where it came from first so you don't make the same mistake again.

None of those things are going to be affecting joe moron's computer. The things you listed are so far out that it is not even comprehensible that they will affect the OPs machine. Air-gapped systems using magnetic resonation, or someone sneaked into his house to plug a USB drive in, I mean really?

The only thing you mentioned that would remotely possibly be on his computer is a rootkit - and will not survive a reformat and reinstall of the OS.

You really do need to be careful before posting such far-fetched suggestions (half of which are even beyond the levels of GCHQ and the NSA), it makes less savvy computer users paranoid unnecessarily.

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 21-Jun-16 21:40:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 10forcash
(learned) Tue 21-Jun-16 21:49:42
Print Post

Clearly I wasn't suggesting that the cause of the issues detailed in the original message were due to industrial espionage, I was pointing out that it is no longer safe to assume that a 'wipe and reinstall' is the panacea to all 'computer problems'. Indeed, it has not been verified that the laptop in question is the source of the concern so it's at best a waste of time and at worst an expensive waste of time to 'wipe and reinstall' without confirming the source of the issue and also confirming that the reinstallation source is clean, along with any backup files to be restored. And as to how this relates to the average user, it's more pertinent than you think.
Edited to add a simple example
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/11/half_plug_in...
Oh, and those rootkits that can't survive a reformat? From way back in 2009...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/persistent_b...

Edited by 10forcash (Tue 21-Jun-16 22:06:01)

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Wed 22-Jun-16 08:23:02
Print Post

Does seem more like pranks than malicious. To try and rule out former.
1) Right click this computer/properties and un click Remote Access option, if present.
2) if you are not going to power down computer when not in use
a) Set computer power option to sleep after 10 minutes and require password to log back in.
3) Disable Ethernet in Network when not in use.
4) Check programs installed match what you expect.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 22-Jun-16 10:42:39
Print Post

[re: caley] [link to this post]

Caley

I don't know if it is involved, having no experience in that area; but I wonder if your Pet Remembrance site is being run on the same PC, thus giving very remote access to it?
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 22-Jun-16 10:46:38
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Caley

I don't know if it is involved, having no experience in that area; but I wonder if your Pet Remembrance site is being run on the same PC, thus giving very remote access to it?

the site is on an Apache server in Germany run by Heart Internet.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 22-Jun-16 11:01:35
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

Thanks Adrian, for that quick answer.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jun-16 11:47:18
Print Post

Seems like a lot of hassle to annoy someone.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User thebomberman
(newbie) Wed 22-Jun-16 13:33:36
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

It is. He's not been hacked, given that it's over a year now and nothing costly has happened. Unless some of you think it's a looooooooong con. I suspect all his problems will go away with a reformat and reinstall, and it's got nothing to do with malign external influence laugh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to