Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Wed 22-Jun-16 20:20:22
Print Post

Re: Have I been Hacked?

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

also worth looking for a surreptitiously installed version of teamviewer. entirely legitimate software, but may be used maliciously.
Standard User 10forcash
(learned) Wed 22-Jun-16 20:23:39
Print Post

[re: thebomberman] [link to this post]

Absolutely the wrong advice to give. it's partly due to 'truisms' like this that allows botnets to exist at all.
1. there is no evidence to suggest there is any malware involved.
2. there is no evidence to suggest the PC is the source of the problem.
3. there is no evidence to suggest malign or benign external influence is causing the reported behaviour.
4. There has been no mention of any methodical diagnosis of the problem.
If you actually read my advice and suggestions - and indeed the whole thread, rather than trotting out your well-worn 'fix' you'll note the following:-
There has been no determination of the cause of the symptoms, there has been no determination as to which device is causing the symptoms, there has been no documented effort to isolate the suspected device to determine if the symptoms are network or device induced.
Again, if you actually read my comments, you'll note that I suggest the issue COULD be due to a faulty or damaged trackpad or keyboard - amongst other causes. Until some effort is made to determine the cause, then any and all possibilities are equally valid - hell, for all I know, it could be an errant cat walking across the keyboard and moving the mouse... until some effort is made to rule out possible causes, it's just as possible as anything else.
So PLEASE, stop trotting out your own pet fixes, they do nothing to help without any evidence based diagnostics.
As to the comment from 'bomberman', if you care to educate yourself a bit, you'll find out that some of the best hacks have resided inside commercial and governmental systems for years without detection. Just because there is no visible 'cost' does not mean there is no intrusion.
Good advice from 'flippery' and 'ggremlin' in my opinion.

Edited by 10forcash (Wed 22-Jun-16 20:26:34)

Standard User thebomberman
(newbie) Thu 23-Jun-16 10:58:46
Print Post

[re: 10forcash] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 10forcash:
As to the comment from 'bomberman', if you care to educate yourself a bit, you'll find out that some of the best hacks have resided inside commercial and governmental systems for years without detection. Just because there is no visible 'cost' does not mean there is no intrusion.

Ok sure, somebody is spending a lot of time and effort to do absolutely nothing bar open a webpage every now and then on a non-commercial, non-governmental, super low value target. Of course they are. I know what's possible (believe me or not I'm doing security in an HO environment right now), and I know what's wildly unlikely and paranoiac. The OP can simply reformat and start again within hours with minimal disruption and then the answer will be pretty clear.
Do you tape over your webcam?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jun-16 13:36:24
Print Post

[re: 10forcash] [link to this post]

The OP hasn't posted anything about trying to fix the issue so it can't be too much of a problem.

Scaremongering is of no use either!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User 10forcash
(learned) Thu 23-Jun-16 18:41:49
Print Post

[re: thebomberman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thebomberman:
. I know what's possible (believe me or not I'm doing security in an HO environment right now)

Let me guess, there's a green button that makes the barrier go up, and a red one that makes it go down - and absolutely nobody gets in without a pass....
In reply to a post by thebomberman:
Do you tape over your webcam?

The only device with a webcam and microphone has a hardware switch to disconnect them, so no, I don't need to tape over either.
Standard User caley
(member) Thu 23-Jun-16 21:27:26
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

The reason I've not posted is I've been taking onboard all the information and advice given in this forum and tried a few of them but at around 1.30am my connection went down and I've spent sometime getting things together again. Connection was down for a while I think. I don't know if it was outside influence that pulled the plug but I got fed up with it all. I've had a long time of worry about this. Today I got my hard drive formatted by a friend who helped me get everything reinstalled etc. All my connections are ok now and everything seems calm but I'm not holding my breath.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 23-Jun-16 22:27:09
Print Post

[re: caley] [link to this post]

?? Just fwiw - I was reading this post and my pointer passed over the petremebrance link in your sig. It immediately provoked a 'Malicious Website Blocked' message from MalwareBytes. I *had not* clicked on it just moved my pointer across it so it must just be some sort of pre-emptive checking that is going on on my system.
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Fri 24-Jun-16 04:53:07
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

You can discount what Malwarebytes site blocker tells you . That part of MBAM has always been useless.

Scan the site with VirusTotal and other professional tools, there is no issue, it is 100% clean.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 24-Jun-16 06:54:13
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AdrianPH:
You can discount what Malwarebytes site blocker tells you.

In the context of this thread it just seemed suspicious to me.
Standard User caley
(member) Fri 24-Jun-16 07:50:21
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Don't understand why that happened and I can assure you that my Petremembrance site is not a malicious site. For the past couple of day's I've been in the process of moving sites to another webspace provider and Petremembrance has been setup and removed and setup again because of script problems. Still not got the database working correctly yet. Perhaps that had something to do with what Malwarebytes site blocker reported. Just to update since the update of windows on my computers, I've had no problems of a sinister nature at all (yet). Everything has behaved itself as it should. My laptop has been moved over to Linux, although I don't know a thing about Linux I'm prepared to learn, the other computer has had windows reinstalled too so hopefully everything will remain uneventful.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to