Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 24-Jun-16 08:53:16
Print Post

Re: Have I been Hacked?

[re: caley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caley:
Don't understand why that happened and I can assure you that my Petremembrance site is not a malicious site.

No 3rd party adverts or links? I wasn't casting any aspersions just a query and as I said f.w.i.w. 8^)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Jun-16 09:59:50
Print Post

Please for goodness sake tell me you have disabled WPS... I highly highly doubt your pc was hacked, and somebody then decided it was a good idea to login to your router and break your internet access. That makes NO sense, since they would be disabling their own malware from being remotely accessible.

This is more likely somebody hacking the wifi over WPS, and changing your details to be a troll.
Standard User caley
(member) Fri 24-Jun-16 20:32:46
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I've no idea what WPS is but the friend that formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows for me checked all the connection setup, antivirus and the like said everything was safe so I presume he must have checked WPS and made it safe too. Whatever the problem was somebody was up to no good with my net connection I'm sure of that.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Fri 24-Jun-16 21:58:10
Print Post

WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) is a facility provided by modern wireless routers to make is easy to connect wireless devices such as printers. Unfortunately, WPS is not very secure and it can be subverted in order to gain access to routers that are in theory protected by strong encryption.

From what you have already told us, it appears that your wireless router has been hacked by someone who has either guessed the password or has defeated a weak encryption protocol such as WEP, or maybe even WPS. You should certainly be using WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption as ukhardy07 has advised and it would probably also be a good idea to disable WPS if your router supports it. Of course, you could just do nothing and wait to be hacked again.

Edited by micksharpe (Fri 24-Jun-16 23:00:51)

Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Sat 25-Jun-16 04:46:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by caley:
I've no idea what WPS is but the friend that formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows for me checked all the connection setup, antivirus and the like said everything was safe so I presume he must have checked WPS and made it safe too. Whatever the problem was somebody was up to no good with my net connection I'm sure of that.

Caley.

WPS was explained to you at least twice in this thread. I posted the link to the user manual for you router and even gave you the page numbers for the WPS and WiFi security settings .

Standard User caley
(member) Sat 25-Jun-16 07:55:34
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Thank you for the explanation and after asking for help from a friend it seems that the WPS is switched off if it was ever switched on and encyption is set to advised settings. I'm not technically minded so these things go over my head but I have many friends who help and the advice here is excellent, that's why I come back when I have a problem. Most forum members take the time to help a dumbo like me. I'm unsure of why and how all these intrusions occured but I hope that's an end to them.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User Davis11
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-16 08:23:02
Print Post

Re: Have I been Hacked? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Sep-16 11:11:25
Print Post

Re: Have I been Hacked? *DELETED*

[re: Davis11] [link to this post]

Spammy blog promotion post deleted

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to