Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Aug-16 01:43:11
Print Post

Kaspersky Auto Renewal

[link to this post]

My KIS was due for renewal this month, and last month I got an email asking me to update my payment details as my card had expired (which it had).

I logged in and updated my payment details, and got an email acknowledgement.

Last Friday evening, I got a pop-up that my KIS would not update the AV database. The 'K' on the taskbar had a yellow exclamation triangle.
I sent an email to Lisa Clancy who for years had always been of great help if I had a problem, but last time was at east a year ago, and this time the email could not be delivered (got notification of that the following day, and again yesterday).

Seeing the protection was still enabled, and no threats detected, I ran a scan every few hours to make sure all was well, and decided to phone c/s on Monday morning.

However, when I started the computer on Monday morning (8th), all was well and the KIS had renewed, and an email confirmed that it had.

Tonight, I got another pop-up stating that protection & updates were paused due to the license not being renewed properly, and that if it was a genuine copy that I had, I should download/install the new version.

I ended up paying for it in order to download it, and have now installed & updated it successfully, ran a scan, and all appears to be working well.

Tomorrow, I'll check to see if my payment(s) are showing with my CC company, but they don't always show for a day or two. As soon as I can see what has been paid, I'll contact Kaspersky UK by phone to see what happened.

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-16 08:09:49
Print Post

Re: Kaspersky Auto Renewal

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

I use Kaspersky for free, which is available to those who bank with Barclays.

I occasionally find it doesn't auto-update the AV database, a manual prod seems to work. Not yet had it 12 months though so haven't gone through the - free - renewal process yet.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 10-Aug-16 13:22:40
Print Post

Don't use auto renewal ! Check the prices elsewhere first.

Example of how to be ripped off :

I bought Kaspersky Internet Security 1 year 5 devices from Amazon , renewal time comes along and the pop-ups tell me I can have a 30% discount if I renew online.

The renewal is £15 more than the price I paid at Amazon and better still is for a SINGLE machine.

As you can use the multi machine licences at different times, renewal times differ, you could pay this stupid price 5 times over

I never renew through Kaspersky, I buy a new licence pack at Amazon and can cover multiple systems for less than a single licence bought direct.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Aug-16 16:09:53
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I use Kaspersky for free, which is available to those who bank with Barclays.

I occasionally find it doesn't auto-update the AV database, a manual prod seems to work. Not yet had it 12 months though so haven't gone through the - free - renewal process yet.
I've had Kaspersky since 2007/8 and had such good UK c/s, I was reluctant to change from buying direct.
I had a couple of problems over the years, and the help was very good.

I checked this morning when you mentioned the database not updating, and sure enough, mine hadn't. I did it manually, and it's been automatic since.

In reply to a post by AdrianPH:
Don't use auto renewal ! Check the prices elsewhere first.

Example of how to be ripped off :

I bought Kaspersky Internet Security 1 year 5 devices from Amazon , renewal time comes along and the pop-ups tell me I can have a 30% discount if I renew online.

The renewal is £15 more than the price I paid at Amazon and better still is for a SINGLE machine.

As you can use the multi machine licences at different times, renewal times differ, you could pay this stupid price 5 times over

I never renew through Kaspersky, I buy a new licence pack at Amazon and can cover multiple systems for less than a single licence bought direct.
Is this what you mean?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaspersky-Internet-Security...

Seeing I don't even see a UK email address for customer service now, I may do that next time!
Do I buy the security key version as above, and use it to renew/download via Kasperksy online?

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-16 16:27:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
Seeing I don't even see a UK email address for customer service now, I may do that next time!
Do I buy the security key version as above, and use it to renew/download via Kasperksy online?
No, change your bank to Barclays wink

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 10-Aug-16 16:32:03
Print Post

That is it.

It make no difference where you buy the licence (as long as it is genuine ) the service you get remains the same.

Choose whatever suits your needs , the prices for 5 machines are lower than for a single machine renewal.

Last year I bought my god daughter a 3 device 2 year licence for less than the Kaspersky renewal she had showing on her laptop.

Buy the pack, simply enter the licence key in the Kaspersky GUI .

Edited by AdrianPH (Wed 10-Aug-16 16:33:53)

Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Aug-16 18:07:20
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
In reply to a post by TrishaH:
No, change your bank to Barclays wink
Noooooo! laugh I like Nationwide. Had very few problems in many years.

That is it.

It make no difference where you buy the licence (as long as it is genuine ) the service you get remains the same.

Choose whatever suits your needs , the prices for 5 machines are lower than for a single machine renewal.

Last year I bought my god daughter a 3 device 2 year licence for less than the Kaspersky renewal she had showing on her laptop.

I see the 3 machine is cheaper than for 1 - if it's the same next time, I'll do that! smile

I never thought of doing that last night!

Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-16 00:45:47
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

I did check my CC online two days later, but the Kaspersky payment wasn't showing. I completely forgot about it until a few days ago when paying the CC bill, and checking through, saw that there were two payments to Kaspersky!

So, I made a note of the payment dates and the two order numbers for the auto-renew (that didn't work) and the one I then downloaded, and sent an email to the UK customer services.

I got a reply back telling me that products for evaluation should be 'returned'/refunded within 14 days, so sorry, you ran out of time!

I then replied that the item was not an evaluation product, but a failed auto-update, and once more explained what had happened, and that two emails to my usual UK contact produced bounced emails 24 hours later, and I then decided to download the newer KIS myself rather than leave the machine without AV.
(My usual contact seems to have been promoted and she no longer has that email address for customer technical service.)

I did make it clear in my email that I used a (named) credit card rather than debit, and it seems to have produced the right response - an email promising a refund on the non-working auto update, and attached a screenshot of the failure for good measure.

I only remained as a Kaspersky direct customer because of the excellent fast response from my contact at UK technical service.

Next year, I'll do as you suggest and buy it from Amazon and just enter the new license key. I assume that's all I need to do.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-16 02:43:16
Print Post

Yes buy on amazon or somewhere and enter the key. If it's a newer version they should provide you a download link to get the software.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Fri 16-Sep-16 08:41:19
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Never bother with auto renewal, I just buy KIS 5 user licence were ever it's the cheapest, download the lastest version, currently KIS 2017 & enter the key, never had a problem.

Edited by Nightglow (Fri 16-Sep-16 08:44:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to