Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hairystuff
(newbie) Fri 14-Oct-16 21:06:12
Print Post

Possible line splicing and internet theift.

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm new to the forums and the site, if anyone has any knowledge on the subject it would be much appreciated.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting a lot of drop outs and finally my line went dead on the 11/10/16 now here's the weird thing the fiber and the line was dead for nearly 4 days and my usage according to plusnet was 300GB for the period I was offline, I started to poke around at the usage statistics on the members section on plusnets website and found that my internet usage has been incredibly high for the last 3 weeks around 900GB which I can only account for about 120GB of, I know my WiFi hasn't being compromised and I know none of the devices on my network haven't create the traffic because the modem I'm using (HG612 ver B3) shows I have only used so much data and the router tallies up too so I'm at a loss and starting is to think maybe someone has been splicing/piggybacking off my connection between the cabinet and home, I have disabled the automatic TR-069 modem login and have gone the manual route, I have also changed my broadband password as an extra measure.

Even though my line was completely dead Plusnet are adamant I was connected and used all that data during the downtime, I'm not bothered about the data as I'm not on a cap or limit but I am worried if someone has spliced into my line somewhere.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 14-Oct-16 21:28:08
Print Post

Re: Possible line splicing and internet theift.

[re: hairystuff] [link to this post]

How would they be able to authenticate on your connection?
Standard User hairystuff
(newbie) Sat 15-Oct-16 04:08:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm guessing with a TR-069 enabled for auto configuration from the ISP they wouldn't have to, just plug any VDSL modem in and it will auto setup.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hairystuff
(newbie) Tue 18-Oct-16 12:07:55
Print Post

Hi, just to update you, I managed to get the problem rectified in the end, from what was explained to me, there was an upgrade done at the BT OpenReach exchange and they managed to duplicate my "Broadband circuit Service ID" to someone else's connection so both modems where fighting for the connection, disabling the TR-069 and changing the password stopped my data from being used but it still didn't remedy the dropouts and disconnections, so the telecoms engineers managed to sort out the problem at the exchange and checked the line from the exchange down to the cabinet and from the cabinet to the distribution/junction box then finally to my home, as a bonus the engineer replaced both my old sockets with the newer ones, I was pretty much blamed for the excess data usage even though my line was dead and disconnected and convincing the service provider was no easy feet until I got the right technician on the phone, but at least it's fixed now.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Oct-16 21:41:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by hairystuff:
Hi, just to update you, I managed to get the problem rectified in the end, from what was explained to me, there was an upgrade done at the BT OpenReach exchange and they managed to duplicate my "Broadband circuit Service ID" to someone else's connection so both modems where fighting for the connection, disabling the TR-069 and changing the password stopped my data from being used but it still didn't remedy the dropouts and disconnections, so the telecoms engineers managed to sort out the problem at the exchange and checked the line from the exchange down to the cabinet and from the cabinet to the distribution/junction box then finally to my home, as a bonus the engineer replaced both my old sockets with the newer ones, I was pretty much blamed for the excess data usage even though my line was dead and disconnected and convincing the service provider was no easy feet until I got the right technician on the phone, but at least it's fixed now.
Who ever told you that doesn't have a clue, For a start if you have a FTTC service It would still continue to work normally if someone disconnected the copper pair at the exchange (AKA E' side pair)
So that blows that story out of the water, But from what you say , it's very likely that an engineer working at the local street cab PCP stole your copper D' side pair, and gave it someone else , it could also be possible that who ever was given your pair, may have also been a Plusnet customer who had just gone live , as for the" two modems fighting each other for the connection"

Again tripe, as once the pair is no longer supplying your home, your modem becomes insignificant , because there is no signal going to it, the drop outs, down to a line fault maybe, typical high res dis, dropouts when phone in use /ringing
the engineer was probably one of the two companies sub-contracted by Openreach, kelly's or quinn's although the practice of engineers stealing d'side pairs isn't new

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 18-Oct-16 21:47:11)

Standard User hairystuff
(newbie) Tue 18-Oct-16 23:47:45
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I did sense a bit of the old bull manure when they explained things as they seemed to initially be giving me the run around, but the drop outs were the really weird issue with it happening at random with everything working fine and then nothing plus when I disconnected the fiber modem the usage just continued for an additional 18 hours after I unplugged and shut off the modem, with my normal amount being 10GB a day going up to 100GB a day, initially they tried to blame equipment on my network for the traffic like my Swann DVR or a non existent android streaming box, it became a me vs them issue, glad it's all sorted now but it's shook my trust in Plusnet now.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-16 01:01:53
Print Post

I did sense a bit of the old bull manure when they explained things as they seemed to initially be giving me the run around, but the drop outs were the really weird issue with it happening at random with everything working fine and then nothing plus when I disconnected the fiber modem the usage just continued for an additional 18 hours after I unplugged and shut off the modem, with my normal amount being 10GB a day going up to 100GB a day, initially they tried to blame equipment on my network for the traffic like my Swann DVR or a non existent android streaming box, it became a me vs them issue, glad it's all sorted now but it's shook my trust in Plusnet now.

Just another thought re the dropouts did the modem actually loose sync,or could they have been PPPOE session drops? Just from memory i can recall frequent session drops caused by plusnet trying to balance users across their network, and other reasons not known, But as has been said elsewhere you gets what you pays for,
Standard User hairystuff
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-16 14:14:08
Print Post

The modem didn't seem to be disconnected (according to logs) and the pppoe connection seemed solid too (also according to logs) (ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, dns 1 and 2 all present), just couldn't get a external ping to any external services, so it was a strange one to me, the lights are on but nobody's home situation with plusnet so far, never had any issues with them with ADSL but fiber has been a pain, got a 2 year contract with them with 20 months remaining so pretty much screwed, might go with virgin next unless you think they're just as bad.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-16 17:09:17
Print Post

The modem didn't seem to be disconnected (according to logs) and the pppoe connection seemed solid too (also according to logs) (ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, dns 1 and 2 all present), just couldn't get a external ping to any external services, so it was a strange one to me, the lights are on but nobody's home situation with plusnet so far, never had any issues with them with ADSL but fiber has been a pain, got a 2 year contract with them with 20 months remaining so pretty much screwed, might go with virgin next unless you think they're just as bad.

I haven't any experience of virgin (cable) but mileage varies depending on where you live, some areas have congestion , from the tbb ping graphs i have seen none are impressive ,

As for the drop outs which if in sync and you have PPPOE session , aren't down to the copper pair, could be something at plusnets end or their router ?
Standard User hairystuff
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-16 09:00:26
Print Post

as far as services go I haven't heard alot of people complain about virgin's broadband just their customer service has been a issue, I've been told EE is pretty good too but its early days and I have a feeling that once alot of people join up to EE they'll buckle too.

Even when plusnet has had major outages as mentioned on the register they seem to deny or hide it until I bring it up then "oh yes, we did have some issues", they used to be pretty open in the past with mentioning issues but now they seem to hold back.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to