Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jc44
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-16 20:33:18
Print Post

going to old router?

[link to this post]

went back to old router and when i typed http://192.168.1.1
i had to type username and password which were both admin
then I get tge summary screen and my username and password for broadband are different to above, am i safe? will anyone be able to get in my computer by typing admin admin in?
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-16 20:47:43
Print Post

Re: going to old router?

[re: jc44] [link to this post]

The username and password to access the web interface of a router are nearly always, or at least should be, different from the username and password, if any, used to connect to your ISP. Unless you consider it to be necessary I would ensure that you can only access your router's web interface from your LAN and disable access from the WAN/internet.
Standard User Mml
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-16 21:28:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by jc44:
when i typed http://192.168.1.1
i had to type username and password which were both admin

You can change this password to anything you like. In fact, you better change it, since the news are full of stories of Chinese hackers looking for routers, webcams etc. where password isn't changed and then use them to attack websites.
then I get tge summary screen and my username and password for broadband are different to above

It is normal, and you should not change this password or you'll lose your internet connection. This password is managed by your broadband provider.
am i safe? will anyone be able to get in my computer by typing admin admin in?

No they won't. They'll only be able to get into your router and attack some websites (so change the password). Unless you're on a very old Windows, like Windows XP. Get a good antivirus for your computer to make sure you're safe, though.
In reply to a post by MCM:
I would ensure that you can only access your router's web interface from your LAN and disable access from the WAN/internet.

Usually WAN access is disabled by default.

Edited by Mml (Wed 16-Nov-16 21:33:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jc44
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-16 21:39:52
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

Thanks
How would I change the admin password when I log in using the 198.11 etc
Please bear in mind in no pro so layman's explanation would be good

Won't everyone with this isp have the same log in admin user name password when they log into their summary screen?
Standard User Mml
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-16 22:00:32
Print Post

How would I change the admin password when I log in using the 198.11 etc
Please bear in mind in no pro so layman's explanation would be good

I honestly have no idea since you never told what the name of your router was smile
But usually you would need to look for Configuration across the top, then Change password on the left.
Won't everyone with this isp have the same log in admin user name password when they log into their summary screen?

No. Otherwise how would they cut you off if you didn't pay your bill? smile
Or did you mean the admin - admin one? These used to be the same in older routers, but these days they're also all different.

Edited by Mml (Wed 16-Nov-16 22:05:25)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Nov-16 00:46:12
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

Many MBB devices today have admin/admin as GUI login.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to