Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-17 23:28:11
Print Post

Windows XP Updates

[link to this post]

I just discovered this article for getting Windows XP security updates through till 2019

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/8089/how-to-...
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 00:53:59
Print Post

Re: Windows XP Updates

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Come on, try to keep up wink

The Register, May 2014: Windows XP fixes flaws for free if you turn PCs into CASH REGISTERS

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 01:51:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I just discovered this article for getting Windows XP security updates through till 2019

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/8089/how-to-...
i used myself, mainly for net framework updates and the best browser ever IE7 lol as for some of the pos security updates some did cause a few issues as i recall
But if you have a good Av/firewall solution and use some common sense MS updates aren't that important

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 01:56:01
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I've not experienced any problems with this workaround yet. I've done it on four PCs.

I'm going to update one of these to Windows 7 very soon as some websites still use Flash for video and this is no longer supported on XP. Support for Firefox will stop this year too.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 06:37:25
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Lol smile
I only noticed it because I have some old XP VMs that I haven't used for ages and I was going to upgrade them to W10. so I was looking for a cheap AV solution for them in the interim.

But this hack fits the bill nicely and gives me a couple of years breathing space.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Wed 04-Jan-17 11:02:43
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

God help anyone who is using unpatched IE7 to browse the web.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 11:51:03
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

I found a version of IE8 for XP on Filehippo
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Jan-17 15:32:45
Print Post

Is this thread supposed to be about Windows XP updates, or instead about Microsoft Security updates (Microsoft Security Essentials)? If I'm reading correctly, some respondents are mixing up the two. They're two different entities.

I've an XP machine that I still have on my home network, but I rarely if ever use it to access the Internet now, as its browser, IE8, is reckoned to be miles out of date and very unsuited to Internet usage, especially from the security angle. Instead, these days I use an Apple machine.

With the XP machine, I used to manually download updates to the XP operating system every month, but it was my understanding that Microsoft ceased support for XP about two years ago (after extending the original deadline somewhat) and so I stopped visiting the XP Update website from thereon, as there appeared to be no point in doing so.

Because I'd also opted to use Microsoft Security Essentials in the years during which I used XP, I still had it on the machine, and indeed it's still in place and automatically comes into play on the rare occasions I use that machine, inviting me to download and install the latest MSE virus definitions. In fact, with the way in which MSE is woven into XP and the various applications on the machine, some apps won't run at all unless you get the MSE definitions right up-to-date - unless you're very nifty and can get to the appropriate setting in time, to turn MSE off. Although of late there's been the odd occasion when it seemed there were no new MSE definitions to download at all and I kinda assumed that Microsoft had therefore ceased MSE as well, the antivirus app has appeared to continue producing definitions for downloading. I've seen no official notification of either an end-date for MSE, or an extended end-date for it.

With that in mind, I'd be loath to click on any of the URLs provided in this thread, regardless of the fact that they're posted on thinkbroadband. I'd say that a website offering to give extended security coverage for either XP or for MSE should be treated with extreme caution.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 15:56:11
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by meditator:
Is this thread supposed to be about Windows XP updates, or instead about Microsoft Security updates (Microsoft Security Essentials)? If I'm reading correctly, some respondents are mixing up the two. They're two different entities.
Both
With the XP machine, I used to manually download updates to the XP operating system every month, but it was my understanding that Microsoft ceased support for XP about two years ago (after extending the original deadline somewhat) and so I stopped visiting the XP Update website from thereon, as there appeared to be no point in doing so.
The registry key change makes XP eligible for automatic updates once more
Because I'd also opted to use Microsoft Security Essentials in the years during which I used XP, I still had it on the machine, and indeed it's still in place and automatically comes into play on the rare occasions I use that machine, inviting me to download and install the latest MSE virus definitions. In fact, with the way in which MSE is woven into XP and the various applications on the machine, some apps won't run at all unless you get the MSE definitions right up-to-date - unless you're very nifty and can get to the appropriate setting in time, to turn MSE off. Although of late there's been the odd occasion when it seemed there were no new MSE definitions to download at all and I kinda assumed that Microsoft had therefore ceased MSE as well, the antivirus app has appeared to continue producing definitions for downloading. I've seen no official notification of either an end-date for MSE, or an extended end-date for it.
Mine did and stopped working but I've just uninstalled and reinstalled it and it's working once again.
With that in mind, I'd be loath to click on any of the URLs provided in this thread, regardless of the fact that they're posted on thinkbroadband. I'd say that a website offering to give extended security coverage for either XP or for MSE should be treated with extreme caution.
All the hack is is to add a registry key. The updates and AV signatures are downloaded from Microsoft automatically as normal.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 16:46:33
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
I've not experienced any problems with this workaround yet. I've done it on four PCs.

I'm going to update one of these to Windows 7 very soon as some websites still use Flash for video and this is no longer supported on XP. Support for Firefox will stop this year too.
I had an issue with the way some text was displayed on this forum following installing some of the POS security patches, once i removed the offending patch it worked fine again, I never found flash an issue with XP, using firefox or opera instead of the outdated IE7 , IE8 was a resource hog, if used to watch lots of catch up tv, and streamed movies using flash player

But sadly that box is now no longer working, suspected Main board issue as it's an old Socket 775 ddr2 not a lot of point in replacing the board

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 04-Jan-17 16:55:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to