Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-17 23:28:11
Print Post

Windows XP Updates

[link to this post]

I just discovered this article for getting Windows XP security updates through till 2019

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/8089/how-to-...
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 00:53:59
Print Post

Re: Windows XP Updates

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Come on, try to keep up wink

The Register, May 2014: Windows XP fixes flaws for free if you turn PCs into CASH REGISTERS

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 01:51:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I just discovered this article for getting Windows XP security updates through till 2019

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/8089/how-to-...
i used myself, mainly for net framework updates and the best browser ever IE7 lol as for some of the pos security updates some did cause a few issues as i recall
But if you have a good Av/firewall solution and use some common sense MS updates aren't that important

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 01:56:01
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I've not experienced any problems with this workaround yet. I've done it on four PCs.

I'm going to update one of these to Windows 7 very soon as some websites still use Flash for video and this is no longer supported on XP. Support for Firefox will stop this year too.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 06:37:25
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Lol smile
I only noticed it because I have some old XP VMs that I haven't used for ages and I was going to upgrade them to W10. so I was looking for a cheap AV solution for them in the interim.

But this hack fits the bill nicely and gives me a couple of years breathing space.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Wed 04-Jan-17 11:02:43
Print Post

God help anyone who is using unpatched IE7 to browse the web.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 11:51:03
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

I found a version of IE8 for XP on Filehippo
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Jan-17 15:32:45
Print Post

Is this thread supposed to be about Windows XP updates, or instead about Microsoft Security updates (Microsoft Security Essentials)? If I'm reading correctly, some respondents are mixing up the two. They're two different entities.

I've an XP machine that I still have on my home network, but I rarely if ever use it to access the Internet now, as its browser, IE8, is reckoned to be miles out of date and very unsuited to Internet usage, especially from the security angle. Instead, these days I use an Apple machine.

With the XP machine, I used to manually download updates to the XP operating system every month, but it was my understanding that Microsoft ceased support for XP about two years ago (after extending the original deadline somewhat) and so I stopped visiting the XP Update website from thereon, as there appeared to be no point in doing so.

Because I'd also opted to use Microsoft Security Essentials in the years during which I used XP, I still had it on the machine, and indeed it's still in place and automatically comes into play on the rare occasions I use that machine, inviting me to download and install the latest MSE virus definitions. In fact, with the way in which MSE is woven into XP and the various applications on the machine, some apps won't run at all unless you get the MSE definitions right up-to-date - unless you're very nifty and can get to the appropriate setting in time, to turn MSE off. Although of late there's been the odd occasion when it seemed there were no new MSE definitions to download at all and I kinda assumed that Microsoft had therefore ceased MSE as well, the antivirus app has appeared to continue producing definitions for downloading. I've seen no official notification of either an end-date for MSE, or an extended end-date for it.

With that in mind, I'd be loath to click on any of the URLs provided in this thread, regardless of the fact that they're posted on thinkbroadband. I'd say that a website offering to give extended security coverage for either XP or for MSE should be treated with extreme caution.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 15:56:11
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by meditator:
Is this thread supposed to be about Windows XP updates, or instead about Microsoft Security updates (Microsoft Security Essentials)? If I'm reading correctly, some respondents are mixing up the two. They're two different entities.
Both
With the XP machine, I used to manually download updates to the XP operating system every month, but it was my understanding that Microsoft ceased support for XP about two years ago (after extending the original deadline somewhat) and so I stopped visiting the XP Update website from thereon, as there appeared to be no point in doing so.
The registry key change makes XP eligible for automatic updates once more
Because I'd also opted to use Microsoft Security Essentials in the years during which I used XP, I still had it on the machine, and indeed it's still in place and automatically comes into play on the rare occasions I use that machine, inviting me to download and install the latest MSE virus definitions. In fact, with the way in which MSE is woven into XP and the various applications on the machine, some apps won't run at all unless you get the MSE definitions right up-to-date - unless you're very nifty and can get to the appropriate setting in time, to turn MSE off. Although of late there's been the odd occasion when it seemed there were no new MSE definitions to download at all and I kinda assumed that Microsoft had therefore ceased MSE as well, the antivirus app has appeared to continue producing definitions for downloading. I've seen no official notification of either an end-date for MSE, or an extended end-date for it.
Mine did and stopped working but I've just uninstalled and reinstalled it and it's working once again.
With that in mind, I'd be loath to click on any of the URLs provided in this thread, regardless of the fact that they're posted on thinkbroadband. I'd say that a website offering to give extended security coverage for either XP or for MSE should be treated with extreme caution.
All the hack is is to add a registry key. The updates and AV signatures are downloaded from Microsoft automatically as normal.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 16:46:33
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
I've not experienced any problems with this workaround yet. I've done it on four PCs.

I'm going to update one of these to Windows 7 very soon as some websites still use Flash for video and this is no longer supported on XP. Support for Firefox will stop this year too.
I had an issue with the way some text was displayed on this forum following installing some of the POS security patches, once i removed the offending patch it worked fine again, I never found flash an issue with XP, using firefox or opera instead of the outdated IE7 , IE8 was a resource hog, if used to watch lots of catch up tv, and streamed movies using flash player

But sadly that box is now no longer working, suspected Main board issue as it's an old Socket 775 ddr2 not a lot of point in replacing the board

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 04-Jan-17 16:55:41)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-17 17:20:00
Print Post

Flash has only recently stopped working and as Firefox support for XP finishes this year I've decided to upgrade to Windows 7.

Sarah

--

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Jan-17 17:20:15
Print Post

Didnt work for me. Just got a defender update that was all. I am dual booting so dont use XP much.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 18:34:38
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Didnt work for me. Just got a defender update that was all. I am dual booting so dont use XP much.
If you got an update then it's working
Standard User jaba
(regular) Wed 04-Jan-17 22:51:37
Print Post

I discovered this almost two years ago. I downloaded an .iso of XP containing all the patches at the time compiled by a Greek guy calling it XP - SP4 !
Never had any problems with it on 4 or 5 PCs most of which are now XP/W10 dual boot.
Although I don't bother with auto updates, just a manual one from time to time as I am not risk averse.

Opera and Chrome too are leaving the XP dinosaurs behind as well but of course the old versions will still work. I am using a chinese browser Maxthon which is still XP friendly.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 23:01:10
Print Post

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

A quick google for "XP - SP4" shows it's still available smile

The thing I like about it is I'm running it in a 5GB VM with 1GB free space and it's not hogging resources.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Jan-17 12:53:38
Print Post

Batboy,

Are you saying then that Microsoft NEVER DID end support for XP?

And are we talking about 32-bit Windows here, or 64-bit (memory considerations)?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 05-Jan-17 13:09:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
Batboy,

Are you saying then that Microsoft NEVER DID end support for XP?
That's right, but usually only if you were a company willing to pay lots of money for support.

However, Microsoft released a version of XP for point-of-sale terminals called POSReady and POSReady will be supported until April 2019. All the simple registry hack does is tell Microsoft your version of XP is actually POSReady so you get the updates.
And are we talking about 32-bit Windows here, or 64-bit (memory considerations)?
Sorry, I don't know.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Jan-17 15:02:51
Print Post

I'm kinda understanding better now - but still not convinced that the Registry hack of which you mention doesn't also perhaps come with some disadvantages, security-wise. Still, I've no special interest in it because I've long since switched to the Apple platform instead. The only reason that I still keep my WinXP machine alive at all is to be able to still run an expensive photoeditor on it (without photoeditor updates) that happens to be a Windows-version only.

I was aware that many commercial organisations, both big and small around the world, who were still using Windows XP in the first part of this decade complained en mass when Microsoft first announced that it was going to terminate support for XP in 2013. As I recall, that then caused a rethink by Microsoft, and they extended support for about a further year. Thereafter, I vaguely recollect getting little or no response from the Windows Update website. From that point on I lost all interest in XP and Windows machines and decided to switch to Apple instead.

Are you sure this 'permanent' extension has perhaps applied only to the Professional version of XP? That's the version, I'd imagine, that most commercial organisations would have been using. Also, with generally use of working memory increasing these days beyond the 4GB limitation of 32-bit Microsoft machines, it possibly wouldn't have been worthwhile for some organisations with 32-bit-only machines to struggle on with XP, and my guess therefore is that a good many will have bought new hardware and upgraded to Windows 7, 8 and beyond.

Edited by meditator (Thu 05-Jan-17 15:05:51)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 05-Jan-17 15:34:46
Print Post

Dunno. It works for me which is really all I care about and has given me some breathing space before having to upgrade my XP VM's. I was just sharing the joy of my rather belated discovery smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to