Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Feb-17 13:21:00
Print Post

Credit card details stolen from website.

[link to this post]

I have just been told that my credit card details have been stolen from an internet site, but fortunately not used. The CC company said the police had informed them of the theft but did not say what the website was. The card will be stopped but, to my surprise, the CC company wanted my agreement to this first.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

Michael Chare
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Feb-17 13:26:22
Print Post

Re: Credit card details stolen from website.

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Was this a genuine contact from your credit card company in writing?

If it was by email or phone, you have almost certainly been the target of a phishing scam, especially if you gave the person who contacted you any of your personal details.

If that's what happened, contact your card company directly using the number printed on the credit card or paper statements and explain what happened and do it fast because the scammers will already be spending your money.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Sun 05-Feb-17 13:29:31)

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Feb-17 16:28:08
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I did wonder, somehow the message that was left on my voicemail sounder real, unlike many phishing calls and emails.

The number I was asked to ring was not listed on the CC website, so I called a number I know, and was told their was an issue, so the call was likely to be genuine. When I did call the number I was told my name and asked to confirm my month and year of birth from a choice of 4.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Sun 05-Feb-17 16:37:05
Print Post

I have been called to confirm suspect fraudulent transactions before - once because attempt to withdraw cash in Australia (I think CC details skimmed at a petrol station) and a couple of times genuine purchases but I could see why bank thought suspect (£1,000 paypal to Japan)

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Feb-17 16:44:38
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

The Indians at our local Shell petrol station were skimming customers cards to collect money for the rebels in Shri Lanka. I was not done, but I was very pleased when the rebels were defeated.

Michael Chare
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 15:56:37
Print Post

I use PayPal as much as possible to avoid giving out my card details.

Edited by Zadeks (Mon 06-Feb-17 15:59:59)

Standard User Lars
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-17 12:04:04
Print Post

I think we should be 100% sure before using about cards anywhere online. We should boycott companies which are not following guidelines suggested by PCI DSS.

Basic security like SSL, Anti-Virus, Firewall, cannot be overlooked in any manners.
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Feb-17 13:40:51
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Me too - at one time I avoided using it if there was an alternative card method, but now it's improved so much, I tend to think of it as probably being safer to use.

Anyone know how good the Kaspersky virtual keyboard is when entering such details?

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Feb-17 15:55:33
Print Post

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

Nothing is 100% safe but at the end of the day any fraud that happens in your account will be refunded by the bank so dont see a need to not use your card online aslong as you're sensible about it
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Feb-17 16:32:41
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

True - I just prefer not to have the initial stress of knowing someone did commit fraud with my details ...it's a bit off-putting for a while smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to