Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Feb-17 00:55:48
Print Post

Re: Credit card details stolen from website.

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
A business that takes payment through PayPal never receives the card details, they just receive the payment from PayPal and not directly from the customer. That's one reason why some people prefer to use PayPal for as many online transactions as possible.
Very reassuring! I'll opt to use PP anytime I see it offered. Thanks!

Kaspersky is a very well respected firm so I'd imagine their Virtual Keyboard has been properly designed to add extra security to a transaction. I'll have a look at it next time I'm at a site that uses Kaspersky.
I've been with Kaspersky for some years now - used to have excellent UK customer service via direct email, but that person is doing a different job now -Still using it though, and currently KIS 16 - last version needed the virtual keyboard opening to use it when filling in details, but it now pops up automatically and operates in the background.
I'll buy next years renewal through somewhere like Amazon.

I've often wondered just how effective that keyboard is.
I have had a couple of CC attempted frauds that were picked up by both Amex and my bank Visa before they got anywhere - but perhaps not necessarily caused by any online transaction, or failing by Kaspersky.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Feb-17 07:36:47
Print Post

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

The big danger is that a banking trojan will get onto your computer and start sending keystrokes entered on the physical keyboard when you visit banking websites back to the bad guys. What you enter via the virtual keyboard on screen generally can't be captured.

Kaspersky should detect trojans in the first place but there is a small chance a new one which hasn't yet been included in the virus definitions database could sneak past so the virtual keyboard provides extra protection.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User georgelnx
(member) Sat 11-Feb-17 09:14:05
Print Post

I know it sounds like using Paypal is the answer BUT by doing so you lose your protection under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 75 that makes the credit card company jointly and equally liable with the retailer if things go wrong.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Feb-17 12:57:36
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
The big danger is that a banking trojan will get onto your computer and start sending keystrokes entered on the physical keyboard when you visit banking websites back to the bad guys. What you enter via the virtual keyboard on screen generally can't be captured.

Kaspersky should detect trojans in the first place but there is a small chance a new one which hasn't yet been included in the virus definitions database could sneak past so the virtual keyboard provides extra protection.
The virtual keyboard no longer appears on the screen to use, it briefly appears to inform that it's protecting whatever details you are entering ...or at least, that's how it appears to be.
I like that it's automatic now, but think I preferred the visual actual keyboard.
Apart from that, it's good to know that extra layer of protection is present.
I do tend to check the database updates are recent.

As long as all seems well, I only visit the banking site when absolutely necessary - perhaps an average of once each week, Amex only when paying the bill.

I always run SuperAntiSpyware each night before shut down too - it seems to catch tracking cookies very nicely.

In reply to a post by georgelnx:
I know it sounds like using Paypal is the answer BUT by doing so you lose your protection under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 75 that makes the credit card company jointly and equally liable with the retailer if things go wrong.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-...
I hadn't known that - but PayPal offer some cover on things.
Mostly, PayPal is used with a debit card anyway, so cover isn't an issue. I do use a CC with it at times though, and may do so more often seeing it's more secure in many cases.

Standard User georgelnx
(member) Sat 11-Feb-17 13:13:34
Print Post

@Trishah
Using a CC to pay through Paypal loses the Consumer Credit Act protection due to the way the Paypal is classified by the Financial regulators. Ditto on "Amazon Market" transactions but not Amazon transactions.
Parliament has shown a marked reluctance to sort out the Consumer Credit Act to give us protection against Paypal, Amazon Market etc. Given how much money passes through just those 2 companies using CC's it is a national shame.

Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 00:40:18
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by georgelnx:
Given how much money passes through just those 2 companies using CC's it is a national shame.
I quite agree - they have sufficient business to offer better protection on items bought through their site.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to