Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Apr-17 16:16:21
Print Post

Oops nearly - a salutary tale

[link to this post]

I'm a bit obsessive about ensuring all my data is backed-up and back it all up in several different ways.

My laptop has developed a fault; it looks as if the power socket at the back is working loose, so itís going in to a friendly local dealer to fix.

Last night, as I donít want the dealer to see my data, I deleted all the data folders. Yes I know they could if they really wanted try to recover Ė some of Ė the data but thatís unlikely. As I use KeePass to store my passwords, etc. and keep the database in a Dropbox folder so any changes are propagated between my desktop and laptop PCs, I felt it appropriate to delete it from the Dropbox folder. OK, in theory having a strong KeePass password should make it safe.

This morning when I powered up my desktop PC I realised my mistake. My desktop PC couldnít find the KeePass data file. Searching my back-ups I realised that it wasnít backed-up anywhere.

Brief panicÖ

I looked at the online Dropbox folder and found there was a Deleted files folder, and in it was the data file. Undeleted it. Phew!

I now ensure that Dropbox files are included in my back-up parameters. And Iím now trying to think if thereís any other data that isnít being backed-up. Itís easy to think youíre OK and have all the data saved, but...

Lesson learned for me, posting here in case itís of benefit to others.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 30-Apr-17 19:50:15
Print Post

Re: Oops nearly - a salutary tale

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Always a good idea to check that a backup strategy you have can be restored successfully
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Sun 30-Apr-17 20:32:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

And not trust anyone else to do it right - e.g. Netgear says sorry four weeks after losing customer backups

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Sun 30-Apr-17 22:39:56
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

yea, and delete any file (or folder) on a dropbox linked machine, and it removes it from all the others!
you have to keep other backups!
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-May-17 08:50:01
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Exactly!

Fortunately Dropbox have a 30-day recycle bin so I recovered it from there.

I've now made sure it's included in my continuous back-up.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
  Print Thread

Jump to