Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 01-Jan-18 11:28:03
Print Post

Re: Unrecognised network infrastructure device.

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Well - the pattern seems to be that I see the phones in Windows Explorer but they're only there for a while and then disappear. They never as far as I know, appear as attached devices in the router admin page. Neither is there a trace there of the hidden IP's when I have found them with Netscan.

Although I previously used my PC on wifi, it's now connected by ethernet.

It does seem as if things only go awry if I enable wireless. So my answer for now is to keep it disabled.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jan-18 12:09:29
Print Post

It could be windows 10 but thatís not explaining why they donít show when the WiFi is turned off.

Itís also not justifying the open ports including the windows SMB port found when an nmap was run against one of these mystery devices.

If it was the OS playing some weird magic youíd expect nmap to show the host as down and no open ports and services.
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Mon 01-Jan-18 13:12:04
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I have seen something similar to this issue when people use their laptops on trains and Windows 10 shows devices that aren't connected. The solution to that issue is to make sure network device discovery is turn off and make sure you don't have any Bluetooth enabled on your computer if you aren't using it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 69bertie
(member) Mon 01-Jan-18 13:51:04
Print Post

It doesn't cost you any additional money to have a fixed IP with Plusnet (it's a one time payment - £5 comes to mind).

Standard User 69bertie
(member) Mon 01-Jan-18 14:04:46
Print Post

Just wondered, as this seems to be a Windows Explorer thing, if this actually means you have access to them and not the other way around. Are you just picking up the SSID or something similar, maybe bluetooth connected, ready for pairing? I do know that Windows 10 seems to display far more info than my Windows 8.1 machine. SSID's, for instance, the number of networks displayed on my Windows 10 is 11, with Windows 8.1, I only get shown 5. Just a thought.

It's been a nice read though, thanks to ukhardy07, as I never gave it a thought about turning WPS back off after I'd finished using it.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 01-Jan-18 14:31:33
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 69bertie:
It doesn't cost you any additional money to have a fixed IP with Plusnet (it's a one time payment - £5 comes to mind).

I got one years ago when they were free. Just a tick box when signing up. I'm wondering whether to get shut and not whether to get one 8^)

I do have a BT dongle for my PC but I don't keep it connected and rarely use it. SInce my PC has no BT connectivity I think I can rule that one out.

Some confusion about networks as well I think. I think you may be talking about available networks that you see. I'm talking about my own LAN - as the man said "there can be only one" 8^)

Edited by longedge (Mon 01-Jan-18 15:29:53)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jan-18 16:59:49
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

As I think I suggested some days ago this appears to be a feature of Windows 10 when Wi-Fi is enabled and AFAIK has nothing to do with the router. I think, and perhaps grasping now at straws, it is something to do with Win 10 allowing users to link directly with other users point to point or be a wireless hot spot. I think it's all down to the virtual Wi-Fi adapter with systems running Win 10 being able to become a software-based wireless access point
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Mon 01-Jan-18 17:57:47
Print Post

Until Windows 8 came out ad-hoc mode was dealt with by the device driver. Windows 10 does not need the driver to use ad-hoc mode anymore and by just disabling a few services this can be disabled very easily.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jan-18 18:10:01
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Indeed and is what I do on my machines that run Win 10 and have Wi-Fi. I'm just a little surprised that this Win 10 feature isn't better known and therefore this thread.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 01-Jan-18 20:03:36
Print Post

I must admit that I have seen unknown devices connected to my router with Wi-Fi enabled (which is why I currently have it disabled).

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Iain M. Banks -- Feersum Endjinn
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to